If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Congestive Heart Failure

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

dughr Find out more about dughr
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Congestive Heart Failure

I am curious about congestive heart failure. Is vommiting every morning along with fluid coughed from the lungs mixed with blood a sign of CHF? I tried searching but I can't find an answer by doing the search I am doing. Thanks,
    Doug
    NEMC's (Boston) First Myectomy 7-22-2003

Re: Question about Congestive Heart Failure

To add to that, can someone explain to me exactly what is meant to "be in congestive heart failure"? What significance does it have relative to HOCM? Is it treated simulaneously and the same way as HCM? I know short questions that probably have lengthy answers. Thanks!

Doug
    NEMC's (Boston) First Myectomy 7-22-2003

Comment

Doug, if this is what you are experiencing, call your doctor. If you are having severe coughing episodes, this could cause you to vomit too. I would be concerned about the blood. Be able to tell your doctor if the blood is always there, if it is streaks of bright, red blood, or just pink-tinged. Are you coughing up blood or vomiting blood from your stomach? Call your doctor today, esp if this is new. Linda

Comment

Doug--You definitely need to consult with your doctor about your symptoms. From what I know of CHF--that is not part of it. My husband had congestive heart failure from HOCM. He would retain fluid--gain 15+ pounds of weight from it. His lungs filled with excess fluid and his ankles were swollen--you could push on his legs and the indentation would stay. It makes breathing very difficult. The "cure" was a lot of Lasix and potassium--which would aleviate the symptoms--until the next round. It is typical with HOCM, I believe, because your heart is just not able to efficiently pump the blood the way it needs to.
        Good luck to you, Doug--and see your doctor!!
        Roxann

Comment

Doug -
          Your concerns are very valid but not something for the message board. These symptoms can be very serious...or nothing at all please check with your doctor ASAP.
          Vomitting is not part of HCM - something else is going on here. Please call the doctor and let us know how you are doing.
          Lisa
          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
          Currently not obstructed
          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Doug,

My Mom started coughing up blood and it turned out to be bad bleeding ulcers---- as the others have said----get to a Dr. or an Emergency Room!!

Comment

First of all --coughing blood, vomiting blood, blood in your stool, blood in your urine ----these are all CALL YOUR DOCTOR NOW events. Could be nothing, could be easily fixed, could be cancer. Only one way to find out ---doctorland.

Second, Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) is a condition where the body retains fluid from insufficient cardiac function. Many different things can cause CHF, not just HCM. Not everyone with HCM gets CHF and CHF doesn't cause HCM.

Third, treatment for CHF runs diametrically opposed to treatment for HCM in that HCMers need lots of fluid, salt, and electrolytes need to be in good balance while CHFers need their fluids and salt reduced. It is a trickly balancing act to manage both of them together, but it can be done.

Also keep in mind that almost 0% of the info you will find on CHF anywhere is talking about HCM-caused CHF. THere is a lot of CHF info in the archives and in the current board. Use the search function to retrieve it.

take care and let us know how you are!!!

s

Comment

just thought I'd throw this question out there...

congestive heart failure can be the result of something else? (for example, upper respiratory infection)....doctor said that it's possible that when I had this last November, the CHF could have been a direct result a respiratory infection. Another question, with CHF, I've read that you express like a frothy, clear-white phlem or light pinkish...??
                \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

The resp infection could add enough stress to an already overworked heart to cause some failure. CHF can cause enough back pressure in the lungs to cause a dry or productive cough. Some blood can leak through capillary beds and cause the sputum to become pink-tinged. It will more often be clear or white. Linda

Comment

Working...
                  X