If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

difficulties getting health insurance

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Laurie Find out more about Laurie
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difficulties getting health insurance

I am new to this association, but am grateful this site is here. I am a 39 year old mother who was diagnosed with HCMA 5 years ago after going for a routine physical exam. I had a heart murmur, but other than that I have had no symptoms and still have no symptoms. My doctor has me taking 25mg of atenolol as a precaution, but my biggest problem is that I can't get health insurance in Texas since my husband became self-employed 6 months ago. The only insurance I can get is through the Texas State High Risk Pool and the premium is extremeley high and unaffordable for me right now. I am not employed full-time at this time because I prefer to be a stay at home mom to my 4 yr old daughter. If you have any advice on health insurance issues I would be grateful.

Laurie
    Dallas, TX

Re: difficulties getting health insurance

Laurie, Lisa is a great resource for this info. She will be available after Tues. Please call her at the HCMA office. Welcome to the message board, I'm sure you will get helpful suggestions from several others on this. Linda

Comment

I too, am having trouble getting insurance. My wife and daughter are covered, but i cannot get anything other than my work coverage.
      Hello, I`m Craig, I have H.O.C.M. and I`m making the most of my life with my daughter and my wife!!!

Comment

For those employed - take what ever coverage you can get via your employer and never let your COBRA go until you have a new job (even if it cost a great deal).
        If you are self employed there are organizations of self employed people - some are industry specific (accountants, plumbers...you name it) Many times these organizations have plans you can buy into for a better rate...check it out!

Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

AMEN to that Lisa!

If you are employed, with health insurance, and have HCM, do anything you possibly can to keep your insurance. Once it's gone, it's GONE.

I lost my insurance, and right now my only hope is to find an employer who will allow me onto their group plan. That is, if i find an employer to employ me at all. LOL. Even then, there will most likely be a waiting period for pre-existing condition. By the way, you are only protected from that clause if you move directly from one insurance plan to another. If you have no health insurance and then get some, you are subject to the pre-existing condition clause.

I did find a program in PA that offers low-cost health insurance and i am eligible for that. Only problem is, i've been on the waiting list for five months now and until some people drop off the plan i will continue to wait. If i do get on it though, i can move from that coverage onto one that my future employer (hopefully) will provide and avoid the pre-existing condition crap.

Good luck!

Jim
          "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Jim, are you back in Montana or are you still in Pennsylvania? You move too much for me to keep up with.

Reenie
            Reenie

Husband has HCM.
            3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Reenie,

My residence is still technically Montana, although i had a short period of employment in PA, but currently i'm in Wyoming looking for work, and next week i'll be in Idaho. On my way out west a motel manager asked for my place of residence, and i honestly stood there for a minute not knowing what to say. But my car is still registered in Montana, even though i don't live there currently, or anywhere for that matter. Yikes!

Jim

Comment

I've been looking for health insurance without much success. I'm self employed with a big fat pre-existing condition. Talked to Blue Cross today -- the cost for me and my wife will range from $16,802 to $22,332 per year IF they accept me . State of Florida.

Bill

Comment

Hi All,

I too have had a tremendous problem getting health coverage, but have recently found a program in PA that covers uninsured adults with full Blue Cross/Blue Shield coverage for only thirty bucks a month. PA is one of few states that is using their tobacco settlement money to help insure the uninsured. The program i found, called Adult Basic here in PA, offers 100% coverage, no deductible, and no pre-existing condition clause.

New Jersey has a similar program for less than fifty bucks a month and provides full benefits, without the pre-existing condition clause as well. There are income guidelines, but especially in the case of New Jersey, they can be quite liberal. In New Jersey, you can make up to 50,000 dollars a year and still qualify for the program. You just have to search for the programs that are available in your state, as they aren't always made readily available.

Jim

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                  X