If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your 'gradient' numbers? My what??????

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

sheryl Find out more about sheryl
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your 'gradient' numbers? My what??????

Sorry, I haven't posted in a while but I have been reading as much as I can. I have HOCM and I read an article that said you should know your gradient numbers. Sorry, but I do not have any idea what type of test indicates my gradient numbers. Since all of this is fairly new to me I figured some of you would know this info. Thanks!!!!

By the way, I love this website!!!!!
    Sheryl
    HOCM

Re: What is your 'gradient' numbers? My what??????

Sheryl ,The way I understand it is the gradient is the measurement of back pressure that is caused by obstruction that doesnt allow the blood to freely flow from left ventrical thru the aorta .The more obstructed you are the higher the number will be,in most cases .this number can also change under stress and or excercise.its kinda like putting you thumb over the end of a garden hose ,the more you restrict the flow the higher the pressure goes up .there are more technical ways to explain the gradient ,i hope this was easy to understand. ( i have a 15 resting gradient but it shoots up to 60 with excercise) Rich
    Allways remember you cannot control the wind!!
    However you can adjust your sails!!

Comment

A normal heart's gradient should be zero. If your resting gradient is over 50 (I think that no. is right) then they start talking to you about getting the obstruction removed (myectomy/ablation).

S

Comment

The gradient is the difference in the pressure between the two sides of the valve. Linda

Comment

Rich--Love the hose analogy. I think I understand "gradient" better and also understand now why it wouldn't be good for the heart--let alone good for the rest of the body because not enough blood is getting out of the heart.

I think mine is very high. Oh, well. I'm still around and hoping for a miracle cure any day now.

Sue

Comment

"Gradient" is one of those mystical terms that makes it seem more complicated than it is. Then Rich explains it so nicely with an example we all understand and it all begins to make sense Linda

Comment

I would add someting to this that my doctor (Dr. Maron of tufts-NEMC) said to me. He said: "Don't get hung up on the numbers, the important fact to know is that you have a gradient and focus on managing it". Seems like sound advice to me.

Doug
              NEMC's (Boston) First Myectomy 7-22-2003

Comment

He's right, Linda

Comment

Thanks for the explanation of gradient. Can this be determined from a routine echo or does it require a different test?

Dolly Y

Comment

I never knew what gradient numbers meant either or even what they were. Mine is 27mm I think and I don't know if that is good or bad. Does anyone know if your gradient just keeps increasing, remains the same, or can it decrease? I'm confused as to this.

Comment

Well, your gradient will vary daily. It depends on so many things, including how hydrated you are, etc. Talk to your doctor about it.

Reenie
                      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I don't like to think of the numbers in terms of "good" or "bad", because everyone is so different. Your doctor will take so many things into consideration - does it increase with exercise? is it absent with rest? does it increase with seemingly small things like a full stomach, dehydration? how symptomatic are you? A lot of these questions are really hard to answer and as Reenie said, gradient will vary for many reasons, not just for those things I listed above. We heard a bit about gradients at the conference this wkend, and we may well be seeing more study reports about the importance of the number, but gradient, as are other symptoms and measurements, are very specific to each individual and must be considered with all other aspects of the condition that may be affecting them. It is something you need to talk to your doctor about. I'm sure others will be able to tell you what their gradients are and their symptoms with that gradient, but they won't be consistent in terms of "this gradient number equals this many symptoms". I'm sorry to be so vague. I know you will learn a lot from others who respond to your post even tho it won't directly answer your question. Linda

Comment

Thanks Reenie and Linda for your replies. It was just a question I have been wondering. Strange how it does that, huh? Well, I'm not so much worried about it b/c I have been pretty lucky not to have as many symptoms as others have. Right now, I am considered asymptomatic. Stress triggers much of my symptoms when I do get them. Or aggrevation. Well, I have to go for now.

Everyone Take Care, Anna

Comment

That's what I like about all of you, wonderful replys with positive attitudes. Rich, thanks for simplifying the gradient number explaination. I am simple minded and a gardener, so water hoses I can understand!!! I am still confused as to what test determines your numbers. Echo? Holter? or What? Inquisitive minds want to know. Thanks.
                            Sheryl
                            HOCM

Comment

Echos can record the gradient pressure for you. I don't really understand it all, but when they use the Doppler part of the echo and do the blue/red thing they are checking the blood flow, whether or not there is regurgitation, and also can check about pressure. Sorry I can't explain that any better. Hopefully someone else will hop in here and give more detail. Anyone?

Reenie
                              Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                              3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Working...
                              X