If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice Please

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Darren Find out more about Darren
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Please

I hadn't heard of Hypotropic cardiomyopathy until my uncle was diagnosed with it last year, I have heard it is hereditary, can anyone confirm this and is there any action I should take now to get myself checked out.

Should I go and tell my GP what my uncle was diagnosed with and ask for some tests or as I have no symptoms as far as I know should I not worry about it.

Please advise,

Thanks,
    Darren

Re: Advice Please

Hello Darren,

I'm glad that you found this website to help answer your questions. I had never heard of HCM until I was diagnosed with last year myself so I knew nothing about it either at the time of diagnosis.

Hyperthrophic Cardiomyopathy is a genetic disease and so yes it typically is inherited from one generation to the next if it carries through however, like in my case, there are no others diagnosed with it in my family.

To get yourself checked out you need just to get an echocardiogram performed. It is very important that if your uncle has siblings and/or children that they be checked out as well. A parent with HCM has a 50% chance of passing on the gene to his/her children.

If you haven't already you can check out the general info on HCM and encourage your uncle to do the same on the website. (Just click on the big 'heart' in the upper left hand corner and from there explore the links for symptoms/diagnosis/treatment, etc.) Of course, post as much as you like to the message board, there are so many great resources here to help answer questions; everyone will try to help as much as they can!

I hope this is helpful, I know others will chime in as well to help you out - I was just up earlier than usual this morning and saw your posting!
    All the best,
    Lynn
    Lynn Stewart
    HOCM 4/2002
    Cleveland Myectomy Crew 8/2002

Comment

Lynn has given a great reply to this question!
      If you need anything further please call the office.

Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Darren, Welcome to the message board. Lynn has given you great advice in her suggestion to review the info on the website. It will help you to prepare a list of questions and concerns to take to your doctor. She has given you very good basic info on HCM and it would be good to discuss this with your family doctor. It sounds like you may be doing the research for your family(including cousins, aunts, uncles), and will be able to help them with moving forward to family screening if they have not done so. There is a tremendous amount of info on the message board. Take your time as you read thru and ask questions. You will be amazed at how helpful the members/participants will be. Linda

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X