If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fast, irregular beats again

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fast, irregular beats again

Thought I was doing pretty good after increasing my Atenolol a few days ago to help with these beats (dr.thinks it is atrial tach.). Saturday I was fine all day and night. Last night when laying down watching t.v. it started out of the blue. I got so nervous. they lasted about 30-40 min. Finally calmed down and got some sleep. I have several questions to ask Dr. M. when I call this morning. One of them being, what do I do when I have these? Does it take a while for med increase to be effective? Anyone out there have something similar? He'll probably want me to wear the Holter monitor again.
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: fast, irregular beats again

The best thing I can tell you is to keep yourself calm, lay down and get your feet up. Call the doc and try to get a better picture of what is going on... it may just take a little more time for the meds to kick in at the higher dose.

Be well,
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I am on "tons" of meds,and I still get irregular, fast, flippity beats. They do not last long at one time, but seem to go off and on all day, just about everyday.
      Hello, I`m Craig, I have H.O.C.M. and I`m making the most of my life with my daughter and my wife!!!

Comment

You don't say what mg of atenonol you're taking but I take 75mg a day. I would get episodes just like you are getting even when sitting on couch and watching tv. They are scary, especially when they last for about 30 minutes. First, I try to relax and stay calm (tellingmyself that they always go awaysooner or later) Mine usually last between 15 minutes to 40 minutes. One thing I did find out after visiting with Dr. Asher is the time I take my atenenol. I got most of my irregular beats in the evening so I take two 25mg tabs in the morning and then another 25 mg around 5:00 p.m. This has helped immensely with the fast, irregular beats.

Comment

Few things to keep track to provide good info to the docs.:

1) Does this happen when you are sitting after a meal or some food/liquid intake? Sitting on the couch gives me PVCs once in while but single ones. Comfortable couches put body in shape such that diaphram presses against that heart which is pretty close to stomach. Any activity in stomach induces heart a little bit.

2) Also, if you are not the worrying kind, measure your heart rate and write down to take to the doc. next time. Is the heart going fast, or just going random beats. This could differentiate between tachys. and blocks.

3) Any caffiene, chocolate in the system? Chocolate seems to give me PVCs for 3-4 days.

4) Do you have a pacer or ICD. The PVCs have a stronger feel when you have pacer compared to no pacer.

5) Betablockers also let you feel your heart beat more than normal rythm. This can feel like palpitation.
          Ketan Thanki

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
          X