If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dear Lisa, Thank you for the work you do...

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mom Find out more about mom
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Lisa, Thank you for the work you do...

Dear Lisa,
    Thank you for the work you do on Hypertrophic Cardiomyapthy. As I told you previously in email, I lost my beautiful 24 yr old son Jan. 20, 2003 to this disease. He was 6'3' about 240 #. He did very hard work. He had no systems of this disease. We just recieved the autopsy results this week. We have so many questions. He found out John probally inherited this from us.
    We are very upset the State "retained " his heart!? John was not married, we were his next of kin. I feeel like they should have asked us or at least warned us that it was necessary to keep his heart. We thought
    the state autopsy returned my beautiful son intact so we could bury him. Do you know what they do with his heart? Where do they store it? How long do they keep it?
    As I said we have so many questions. Thank you in advance for any thing you can do.
    Sincerely Vicki

Re: All visitors-- please read this posting

Vicki -
    Call me.
    We need to talk.
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Re: Dear Lisa, Thank you for the work you do...

Vicki, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I can only imagine the frustration and hurt you must feel after receiving all this news from the state. Talk with Lisa as soon as you feel ready, you will be glad you did. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. Linda

Comment

Re: Dear Lisa, Thank you for the work you do...

Dear Vicki,
        I am so sorry for your loss. Your son, John sounds like he was a wonderful young man. I hope you will share more about him in the future.

I too lost my son, Anthony, age 20, to undiagnosed HCM. He died after a workout at Kansas State Univerisity where he was a football player, honor student and a wonderful man headed for a great life. You can find more out about Anthony from our web-site, www.AnthonyBates.org He was my only child and still to this day we don't know which side of the family tree he may have picked up HCM. Anthony's HCM could have been a "spontaneous mutation" according to the HCM experts. But, that is the main reasons we continue to do regular heart screenings for my nieces and nephews.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you and your family. You can respond on the message board, send me a PM or email. This road is hard, but best not traveled alone. I pray that you and your family have a good support structure and network of friends. It's okay to lean on people now through the tough times. My prayers are with you now and always.

God Bless you and your beloved son, John.
        Sharon Bates
        Anthony's Mom

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X