If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Dentist

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

bryan Find out more about bryan
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dentist

I just thought I would tell a little story about my last dentist visit on May 21st seeing I just got another slight kick in the teeth. I called to make an appointment cause I was having a really bad tooth ache. I INFORMED the office when I called I had HCM and needed to be pre-medicated. They told me they couldnt give me a prescription seeing this was my first visit to their office. I called my PCP and was able to get one from him. When I went they took a couple x-rays and told me I need to have a root canal or an extraction, but the hygenist said the dentist would like to speak to me first. When she came in I informed he I had pre-medicated an hour before. She then asked for the number for my cardiologist, which I gave her Dr. Udelson's NEMC business card. After sitting in the room for 45 minutes with nothing being done she came in and said she had spoke my cardiologist. I asked her the Drs name and she said "she couldnt remember but he seemed to have a stuttering problem". I couldnt think off the top of my head any Drs I met at NEMC that stuttered. Anyways she told me she didnt feel comfortable because my cardiologist didnt seem sure of the decision and she told me to call him. I left the office not to happy. When I got home I called NEMC and asked to speak with Dr. M Maron and the secratary asked me "are you home or still at the dentist because I left a page with Dr. Maron to call the dentist." So obviously the dentisted called.

The next day Dr. Maron called and asked me if the dentist took care of my tooth. I told him "no, but she told me I really need it to get taken care of cause its an infection and she wouldnt want it to get to my heart. I then asked Dr Maron if he knew who spoke to her. He said it was himself and he told her an extraction or root canal was fine as long as I was pre-medicated. He said he didnt feel to confident in the dentist because she didnt really seem interested in what he was saying. (I kind of felt this same way seeing she said he had a stuttering problem). Seeing I thought this was kind of humorous I had to ask Dr. Maron if he was nervous talking to her. He said no and asked why? and I told him her commett. Well to cut the story short Dr. Maron feel short of telling me he cant tell me what to do but to find another dentist cause obvioulsy she wasnt listening and he didnt feel comfortable with that. ADVICE I AM TAKEN FROM HIM. But here is the reason why Im not to happy (and not with Dr Maron who I have all the trust in the world with, but with the dentist)

I had my ICD replacemnet scheduled at Mass Genreal for June 10th. I met with the Dr yesterday and he pushed my date back 2 weeks until I get my tooth taken care of. I know its not that big of a deal but when you get your mind set to have something done, and things change it takes alot out of you. I just need to vent. Sorry it was so long

Re: The Dentist

Bryan, I'm sorry you had such a poor experience with the dentist. I know how you feel. I'd just say you are lucky to have found out before she got to working on you that she isn't the one you need.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I have had a run in with a dentist in my past too (the one who told me pre-meds are not needed for heritary conditions...which then lead to my endocarditis - stroke and the seizures I have for the rest of my life)

I think it may be time to find a new dentist - one who will listen and take good care of you...
      Feel free to vent anytime ...it does help...
      Oh..how is the tooth?
      Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Bryan,
        First thing I would do is to get another dentist!! There are plenty of good ones out there with good, knowledable staff. She was either very new at her job or just plain ignorant. I don't understand why she even called the cardiologist in the first place. I have been to 3 dentists since I've known I've had HCM (for 20 years) and had to be pre-medicate and they note this in my file and that is it. Every dentist visit they ALWAYS ask if I pre-medicated . Not once has any staff member called my cardiologist. Let us know how you make out and I know what you're saying about being scheduled for surgery and something happens and has to be postponed. It is mentally taxing....please take care and best of luck....
        \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X