If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

testing siblings for HCM

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• testing siblings for HCM

Will and EKG show any indication of HCM? Of course my brothers and sister know that I have it and had mentioned to them to get checked out. I know my youngest brother has had EKG's but no mention of any abnormality.
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: testing siblings for HCM

I had an EKG in 2000 that showed evidence of a previous heart attack. An ensuing echo was negative and the doctor kind of shrugged it off. Then, this past February, another routine EKG again showed evidence of a previous heart attack. An echo was ordered again and this time they diagnosed HCM. So I guess it's fair to say that an EKG can show abnormalities in a person with HCM, but that alone won't diagnose it.

Comment

An EKG can show anomalies in the heart rhythm, but not all people with HCM have odd EKG's.
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Most EKG's or ECG's (same thing) will show that "something" is not "normal"... however SOME with HCM do have "normal" readings...that is why Echo is the gold standard test for HCM.
        Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

A good cardiologist/ekg reader should be able detect hint of hypertrophy on EKG.
          After my first episode of heart block in last couple of month, I went and reviewed all my EKGs since 1979, and not a single cardiologist has a note on HCM or hypertropy in the EKG readings.
          So being an electronics engineer, I decided to learn the electronics of heart myself. Got bunch of books on cardiac rythm, and started learning EKG reading. From, electronics perspective, its not too bad to learn.

BUT ALL my EKGs show clear indication of hypertrophy. Of course, in my research, I have noticed that there is no exact electrical signal for HCM, but there is electronic signature of hypertrophy in the signals. The QRS signal going down will show a minor glitch or time delay after the peak. Of course, one cannot say it is HCM, but a logical thing to do should be an echo.[/u]
          Ketan Thanki

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
          X