If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The oldest person with HCM

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

RG Find out more about RG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The oldest person with HCM

I have read on this website that, normally, HCMers' life span is as much as that of non-HCMers. That is really a great information to all the newly diagnosed as well as all those who are trying to come to terms with their conditions. I think it would be good to know

(a) about the oldest living persons with HCM/ longest lived HCMer. Since some of them may not be computer savvy, it may be a good idea to have their messages for the new HCMers.

(b) about the HCMers with longest inning after diagnosis.

I know an HCMer who is 78 and has a superb inning of 43 years (not out). He was diagnosed with IHSS, now HOCM, in 1960 at he age of 35.

RG

Re: The oldest person with HCM

I know of several people who have been diagnosed for well over 30 years. I know of several people well into their 80's and one in their 90's.
    Long life is possible with HCM...and we should NEVER FORGET THIS.

Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

RG,

To help answer your question, my husband's grandmother is 90 years old. She fell in August of last year and broke her hip. Not too uncommon for someone her age, right? Well, they finally determined that she was falling because she was graying out. They did an echo before they placed a pacer for her low heart rate, still not uncommon for her age, and the measurements they took then show she has HCM. Up until the point when she started the graying out episodes I don't think she's ever been on any meds besides blood pressure medicine. I don't think that she realizes that she has it, or what HCM really is, but the echo is very clear. She has lived 90 years without knowing that she had HCM, and she continues to live alone to this day. If someone like her can survive for so long with HCM, I'm sure that says something for the fact that many people can and do live to be old people and still have HCM.

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Lisa, do you remember way back in 1996, one of our early conversations - We need to think in terms of learning how to live with HCM rather than living in fear of dying of HCM. The HCMA has done a tremendous job of promoting that philosophy, even if it isn't stated that way daily. Linda

Comment

A good friend form the medical community (From Italy) gave me a slide once - that in Latin said "the fear of dieing is worse than death". That was in 1997 - I have never forgotten that and everyday of my life I think of that in one way or another.
          Yes, the HCMA believes that LIVING with HCM is the most important thing we can help people do. Even in some cases if that means helping the loved ones of someone lost to HCM live with this fact.
          Be well... live long and prosper
          Lisa
          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
          Currently not obstructed
          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Working...
          X