If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ventricular fillbrilation

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ventricular fillbrilation

what is the difference between what are referred to as "premature" beats and V-Fib? I've gotten these skipped beats and very short fast flutters that last maybe 3-4 seconds ...waiting for Holter results from NEMC..
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: Ventricular fillbrilation

Originally posted by cynthia
    what is the difference between what are referred to as "premature" beats and V-Fib? I've gotten these skipped beats and very short fast flutters that last maybe 3-4 seconds ...waiting for Holter results from NEMC..
    PVC - premature beats are harmless
    V-Fib is a leathal rythm.
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Good morning Cynthia,

A PVC is a premature ventricular beat. V tach is a run of PVCs that can lead to V Fib, which isn't a good thing.

Comment

Dear Karen,

Ventricular tachycardia is much more than just a "run of PVCs"

PVCs are very common and occur even in people with normal hearts.

"Nonsustained VT is defined as a run of tachycardia of less than 30 seconds duration; a longer duration is considered sustained VT. --VT requires:

* Rate greater than 100 beats per minute (usually 150-200)

* Wide QRS complexes (>120 ms)

* Presence of atrioventricular (AV) dissociation

* Fusion beats

In English: VT is very fast, the QRS is the time it takes the heart beat to happen and long one is dangeroud, and the last two are fancy ways of saying "really messed up."

S

Comment

Sarah,

V tach isn't much more than a run of consecutive ventricular beats. It is a run of 3 or more ventricular beats/complexes at a rate greater than 100. Everything else you mentioned just adds to the picture.

Karen

Comment

Most PVC's are harmless. Even a single PVC with the wrong timing can prove dangerous. That's why we hear so much about "long QT syndrome". These people are more likely to have their PVC's in the danger zone. The cardiologist will study that Holter monitor result very carefully to see where, not just how many PVC's are occuring. They will tell you if it's a problem for you. Linda

Comment

I had called NEMC this morning as when I woke up I was having fast, irregular beats...never happened to this extent before. I've noticed that I've been having more of these the past few weeks. The MRI showed exactly what the echo did...nothing else going on, but he said that the Holter reading showed exactly what I called about this morning. From what he mentioned, there is Ventricular fibrillation and Ventricular Tachtycardia...pretty sure it is the VT. I was told to increase my beta blocker (double the doseage) and hopefully this will help . If not, he mentioned something about a catherization?? anyone have this done?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I had called NEMC this morning as when I woke up I was having fast, irregular beats...never happened to this extent before. I've noticed that I've been having more of these the past few weeks. The MRI showed exactly what the echo did...nothing else going on, but he said that the Holter reading showed exactly what I called about this morning. From what he mentioned, there is Ventricular fibrillation and Ventricular Tachtycardia...pretty sure it is the VT. I was told to increase my beta blocker (double the doseage) and hopefully this will help . If not, he mentioned something about a catherization?? anyone have this done?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

YEs, I have had 2 caths- -not fun, but not that bad either. It is very safe when done in well trained hands.
                    RE the VF you mentioned just for clearfication you meant AF. These rythms need to be evaluated carefully and treated.

Be well,
                    Lisa

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                    Currently not obstructed

Comment

re: catherizations....what exactly does this do for you?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

In short it looks INside your heart -it allows a clear view of the inside of your heart. They can also see if you have any clogged "pipes" .
                        How old are you?
                        WHy I ask is it is rather common --regardless of HCM to use caths to help find out why the heart is "acting up".
                        You can see I am in a rush as I am useing NOT tech terms!!
                        must run ...
                        Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

thanks so much, Lisa....I'm 49 yrs. old. I'm on coumadin and atenolol. I went on the coumadin 9 yrs. ago when I had my son (developed clots in my artery in the upper part of my leg a week after giving birth). I've been doing great with the HCM for many years (no SOB, chest pain, etc) and have been on a low dose of atenolol. Up until last November when I had an upper respiratory infection and had CHF symptoms. My echo in December had not changed since one I had 4 years prior and 4 years prior to that. Dr. M said that what he thinks are atrial tachs showed up on the holter i wore a few weeks ago..that's why he's increasing the beta blocker and see if that helps with the fast irregular beats. He said that if it doesnt, I'll have to wear the holter again and maybe have a cath. But of course, my question is why am I getting these recently??

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

HCM s odd...somedays are good ..others NOT ...why we are still attempting to figure that out.
                            Your in good hands and they will help you get to the bottom of the WHY's.
                            Best of luck...feel well!

Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
                            X