If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saving Lives during Heart Screening Event at Mountain Pointe

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

SharonBates Find out more about SharonBates
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving Lives during Heart Screening Event at Mountain Pointe

Hi Everyone,
    Below is my press release for our next heart screeneing event. I hope that I see some of you at the HCMA Annual Meeting, June 6-8, in Morristown, NJ.

All my best,
    Sharon Bates

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Date: May 6, 2003
    (602) 482-5606
    [email protected]

PHOENIX, Ariz.. - Everyone needs a hair cut now and then but how many of our young people should have their hearts screened on a regular basis for cardiac abnormalities? According to a 1996 American Heart Associations publication, “some form of pre-participation cardiovascular screening for high school and collegiate athletes is justifiable and compelling, based on ethical, legal and medical grounds”. The Anthony Bates Foundation (www.AnthonyBates.org) will be hosting their second heart screening event at Mountain Pointe High School in Awhatukee.

When: Saturday, May 17, 2003 8:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
    What: FREE Echocardiogram Heart Screening Event for Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM)
    Where: Mountain Pointe High School, 4201 E. Knox Rd., Phoenix, AZ (by small gym)
    Who: Young People between ages 14 & 40.

Anthony Bates was a native Arizonan. He was an athlete, honor student, eagle scout, plus a wonderful person. He graduated high school from Mountain Pointe High School in 1997 and went on to play football at Phoenix College for two seasons before he was given a full scholarship at Kansas State University in January, 1999.

Anthony didn’t get to play much football at KSU because he died on July 31, 2000 from an undiagnosed heart condition-Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM) also known as enlarged heart or athletes heart. Other sports figures have succumb to this disease, such as Hank Gathers of Layola Marymount. Unfortunately, many young athletes die from this and other heart ailments before they make the “big time” in college or professional sports.

Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy is a condition in which the muscle of the heart is abnormal in the absence of an apparent cause. According to cardiac experts, 1 out of 500 people have HCM. The American Heart Association states that 5,000 to 7,000 children die each year from sudden cardiac death. 36% of these SCD’s are from HCM. The good news, if HCM is detected early a person can live a normal productive life.

The Anthony Bates Foundation has been working to better the understanding of heart disease and HCM in our young people. Anthony’s mother, Sharon Bates, has recently formed The Anthony Bates Foundation to honor her son’s life and promote heart health and education in high schools and universities throughout Arizona, Kansas, Texas and across the nation.

Ms. Bates has partnered with the HCMA (Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Assoc.-www.4HCM.org) in New Jersey to bring a better understanding of HCM to many areas of the community. The Anthony Bates Foundation conducts FREE, on-site cardiovascular screenings for young students. Using ultrasound imaging under the supervision of cardiologists provides an excellent opportunity to detect life-threatening heart abnormalities. A student’s family history of heart conditions is also taken into consideration as part of the screening process. The Anthony Bates Foundation is actively promoting public outreach programs. Their goal is to promote heart health with education and awareness of HCM.

Re: Saving Lives during Heart Screening Event at Mountain Po

Hi Sharon!
    Sounds great - I am back in NJ and will call you in the morning 1000000 apologies for not calling you sooner it has been a mad house!

Be well and keep up the great work,
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Hi Everyone,
      Great successes in Phoenix! We made new friends, caught up with some old friends, we had great fun and made a difference in the lives of many. Our event was able to offer 125 FREE echocardiograms during the preparticipation sports physicals at Mountain Pointe High School. Plus, our video crew captured some great footage for our upcoming promotional video.

Next, I will see a lot of you in New Jersey at the HCMA Annual Meeting. I am looking forward to re-connecting with some fo my HCMA friends, too.

My best to you all.
      Sharon Bates

p.s. Lisa, it's okay that we haven't talked. You are a busy woman and I admire you for your balancing abilities. I look forward to talking to you soon. Love Ya, Sharon

Comment

Thanks for understanding !!! Big hug!!!!!!!!!!!
        lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
        X