If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antibiotics Question

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Shelley Find out more about Shelley
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antibiotics Question

Hi ~ I was reading through the threads and saw people mentioning taking antibiotics and it was to do with anethesia? I was confused, can someone explain? Also- my mother had HCM (or IHSS) and took antibiotics before going to a dentist. What is this about?
    \"Well behaved women rarely make history...\"

Re: Antibiotics Question

Dear Shelley,

Anyone with HCM needs to take antibiotics before going to the dentist (sometimes call "pre-medicating") because it will prevent any possible infections from getting into the heart.

The bacteria in your mouth can get into your blood from having your teeth worked on, so this is a very important safety measure (as those who have had these injections can tell you).

You can read more about endocarditis in the Post subject: When should you suspect endocarditis in the Research/Media section.

I don't know which posts you are referring to when you say "antibiotics and anethesia". I did a quick search for those terms and they don't appear together. I am not aware of any antiobiotics/anethesia prohibition.

Sarah

Comment

I have HOCM and I have to take antibiotics before going to the dentist as well. As for it having to do with anesthesia, I think that those are seperate. It's just important to take the antibiotics before and after your dentist visit.

annamc

Comment

Ahhhh...I see. Do you think any doctor would prescribe the antibiotics for a dentist visit or would I have to contact the Heart Institute Foundation? I moved away from Minnesota- and don't have a cardiologist here in Wisconsin. I am thinking about all the teeth cleaning I've had since I was diagnosed, without antibiotics....Whoops!

Comment

The dentist themselves will prescribe the antibiotics. Just let them know you have HCM and they will probably call a script in for you.

Comment

Dear Shelley,

Bryan is right. The dentist can prescribe the antibiotics for you. Just let them know when you make the appointment that you need antibiotics so they have time to call in or mail you a script. You have to take them an hour or two BEFORE you have your appointment.

Cleaning is not as risky as drilling, filling, etc. but they can still cut your gums by accident or if you have weak gums or even just a little scratch is all it takes.

take care,

S

Oh, as for anethesia, you need to be careful about getting an epidural if you are having a baby.

Comment

Just a point of clarification -

I don't think that everyone who has HCM automatically needs to be premedicated before they have any invasive procedure. I know for me, I didn't need antibiotics until I was found to have mitral valve regurgitation on an echo. I developed the regurgitation after a few years of having HCM w/ no regurg or obstruction...Initially, my cardiologist said I DID NOT need antibiotics but he later changed his mind.
              Daughter of Father with HCM
              Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
              Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
              ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
              Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Dear Cindy,

I was under the impression that all HCM patients should pre-medicate. I know that Lisa has mentioned here that her dentist had told her that those with genetic conditions _didn't_ need to, but she proved him wrong by getting endocarditis and having a stroke!

I guess what you are saying is that those with normal valve function are in the clear. This is probably true, but how many people actually know what their valve function is and what if it changes before your next echo and after your next dental appointment?

Lisa, can you speak to this?

S

Comment

I cant even remember the last time I wasnt told by my dentist, I had to pre medicate before my visit. When I went to get my ingrown toe nail taken care of the podiatrist had me pre-medicate and post-medicate. Maybe just to be on the safe side. But I didnt mind cause Id rather be safe than sorry.
                  Bryan

Comment

wow- this is great...so many things I'll mulled around for the years since I was diagnosed and got my defib. and I'm seeing answers for the first time, and from people like me!
                    I always enjoyed weight lifting- I'd like to do it again (moderately of course!)...is this going to damage anything? I have these visions of the leads from my defib getting yanked out or some other tragedy...Just how sturdy are those things?

Sarah - the question with antibiotics/anesthesia was raised in another section by a man who was having some surgery, and what confused me was that the post was talking about Eurythmics...no wait that's a band...Eurythomyacin or some other thing interacting badly with the anesthesia, and a few other types were mentioned. I was wondering why it would matter which type of antibiotic one took because they have HCM.

Another thing Sarah that you brought up was to be careful about epidurals if you were having a baby. That opens a whole can of worms for me...
                    After I was diagnosed with HCM I decided against having kids or adopting (my mom adopted 2 children and my sister was only 10 when she discovered our mother dead on the kitchen floor from a lethal arrythmia). Have you heard of other women with HCM asking gps/gynos to perform tubal ligation?
                    I asked a nurse practioner about getting a tubal ligation, and was told that I was of childbearing age (I'm 29) and too young for any doctor to perform the procedure. The first time I asked if I could have it done was when I was 25, right after I got my defib implanted.
                    The responses I've gotten from the gynocologist so far tempt me to rip out my fallopian tubes with a sharp fork.

Comment

Dear Shelley,

I don't know if any particular antibiotics interfere with anethesia. Will have to do some research on that one.

As for getting "fixed," my cardiologist told me (when I was 31) that it would be no problem to have it done. I'm on coumadin, so it makes it trickier, but not impossible.

If you have a letter from your cardiologist about your risks re: pregnancy, I think you wouldn't have any trouble getting the little tubes tied up nicely.

Personally, I'm thinking that sometime next year would be good for me. Whanna schedule together? Maybe we can get a group discount!

RE: weight lifting. I'm going to pass that question off on your doctor. Ain't no way I'm going to tell you to do something that will cause a lead to fracture. Gives me the willies just thinking about it. Honestly, though, Lisa has hung wallpaper without a problem, but other than that, I can't say.

Weight lifting in general isn't recommended for HCMers at all. Really talk to your doctor about that one. And find a new ob/gyn!

S

Comment

Regarding the pre-med prescription, mine just supplies them to me at the end of one visit to be taken before my next visit.
                        So just ask your dentist if they will do that, it saves the hassle of getting and filling the prescription.
                        Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
                        So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
                        Good luck and stay well.
                        Glen

Comment

All hcm/hocm need to premedicate before any dental procedure.
                          You should also premedicate before having any anal, oral or
                          vaginal surgeries. The American Heart Association classifies
                          hcm as a moderate risk for endocarditis. I have a card that I
                          keep in my wallet from the AHA. This card lists the high,moderate
                          and low risk conditions that put you at risk(heart condition).

Comment

WOW what an active thread we have here - let me try to hit all these items-
                            To the NEWBIES..WELCOME!

RE pre meds the guidelines have changed some... while I think it is a good idea for all HCMer those with NO turbulant blood flow may not be told to be pre-med. How do you know if you have turbulant blood flow - if you have a murmur - if you have any gradient - if your in A-F - if you have an artificial valve (thats a bit different than turbulant flow but the meds are needed)

The original question mentioned anethesia and antibiotics - I think there was a bit of a confusion there- I think what was meant was the PVC's post procedure were likely due to the anethesia not the antibiotics - if we are looking at the same posting --

Great questions and great answers everyone!

Lisa
                            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                            Currently not obstructed
                            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

NEMC told me I could stop premedicating if I wanted since I have no valve/blood flow problems, no gradient, etc. However, he then hesitated and said since I was so used to premedicating (15 years), I could continue. I supposed at the time for psychological reasons. But now, I think, maybe the verdict is still out even with the doctors, and safe than sorry should prevail. Faith

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X