If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

life insurance for children

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

wonderly Find out more about wonderly
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• life insurance for children

My husband has been updating our life insurance policies. Because of my HCM,(ICD<pacer) I obviously cannot change my policy. However, with my children having a 50% chance of inheriting this disease, would it benefit us to insure them for more than the usual $5,000? I'm concerned that they may be diagnosed at a later date and would not be able to get a policy for themselves as adults.

Does anyone have a suggestion for the best type of policy?

I appreciate your input.

Thanks!

tricia

Re: life insurance for children

Buy, Buy, BUY!!!

Call Lisa to talk nuts and bolts --she knows all the details.

But yes, buy as much as you can and buy stuff that doesn't require health status if you can and lets you buy more later w/o health proof.

S

Comment

You can speak to a your local insurance rep from any large insurance firm about what plan makes the most sense for your family.

We always recommend that you secure life ins before a screening.

Best wishes,
      Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Yes, buy now!!! Chuck only had a $20,000 life insurance policy that I bought not long before he was diagnosed. We were young and healthy--who knew? After his diagnosis, I was only able to get insurance through our employers for the amount that did not require proof of insurability. So, when he died in April, I didn't have a whole lot of life insurance money to take care of things.
        I have two boys--I have taken out whole life policies on them that will earn interest, that they can borrow against, and that does not require proof of insurability to add later on in life. I also have a Gerber policy on each of them.
        You will do them a favor by getting it now--so when they have kids of their own, they will be taken care of.
        Roxann

Comment

I've got two daughters, age 5 and 2 and neither have HCM at this point. I am the lucky feller. My insurance agent/buddy is working out a plan to set us up with a policy that is affordable and that they can keep throughout life. We've talked about the importance of coverage for them so that later IF they get diagnosed, they'll already have a policy AND they can add to the coverage amount for that policy.

He's due over in about a week and I'm looking forward to hearing the details so we can get this one off our list.
          Tom Mc.
          Apical HCM

Comment

In NJ a child can have up to 50% of the insurance the parent has with NO MEDICAL QUESTIONS! Check your state laws!!
            Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

For those who already have a child diagnosed and uninsured, check those school offerings at the beginning of every school yr. They offer low-cost policies that can be full or term - (buy full) and with the option of increasing value with future years. They count on multiple contracts and low payout so don't ask for medical clearance. It starts out at a low coverage amt, but it's better than nothing and gives them something to increase thru-out adulthood if nothing else is available. Linda

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X