If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Toogoofy317 non-obstructed hcm, AICD 11-01-02 and 10-6-05 Find out more about Toogoofy317
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird

I have a weird question?

I don't know how many of you use heart rate monitors when you exercise but it is part of my phase three cardiac rehab training. Here's the question or I guess the story.

Today when I was exercising my pulse rate was kind of eratic and lower than normal. When I was on the treadmill it only reached 118 normally it is 141 as soon as I stepped off the treadmill it dropped to 80 a big decrease for such a small amount of time. I was talking to the nurse and she was curious as well so she put the defib paddles on me (scared the dickens out of me) to get a quick EKG before it passed and I was having quite a few PVCs. The week before I was on the treadmil I started getting readings from the HR monitor on my wrist and the one on the treadmil that was reading 50bpm then it jump to 120 then back down I thought there was a problem with my monitor so I waited until the end and told the nurse and that is what we concurred with at the time. Now that she has seen this she believes I may have been having PVC couplets because the monitors cannot detect the arrythmia. When I go back on Wednesday she is going to hook me back up to the five lead EKG that they use when you first start. She wants to know how often this is occuring. Is this anything I should be worried about ? Also, would my ICD pick up any of these PVC's?

Sorry for the long winded question but I have been pondering it all day. I've been feeling really great lately so I don't want to do anything to go back downhill.

Thanks,
    Mary

Re: Weird

M

Can't say much about your quick-change heart except to give ole MM a call and see what he has to say about it. (FYI to readers: MM is M's doctor.)

Let me know what he says.

S

PS don't push yourself

Comment

Just had to state that MM does not stand for Mickey Mouse! Although, I have had my share of those type doctors. I'll give him a call after tomorrow's session so that I have a clearer picture of what is going on.

Mary

Comment

Hi Mary,

I'm also in cardiac rehab right now and I also use a heart rate monitor and in fact just purchased my own last week. So as I'm figuring out how to use it, wearing it about the house, I went to put something on the TV for my daughter and looked down to see the monitor reading 181 beats!!! Since my heart rate during exercise is only ever at 90 and I wasn't out of breath at the time, I realized something was amiss. Then, I realized I was leaning over the stereo that has a large magnet in it. So I checked the manual and it did say that electromagnetic fields can alter the readout.

I realize that this bit of info in all likelihood won't help you since the nurse was right there with you trying to track things but thought I would relay it. I admit I do not have an ICD or arrthymias so I don't know the details on them but I'm a person who tries to think of all possibilities; could there be some type of interaction between your ICD, heart rate monitor and treadmill? Probably not, but it was what ran through my mind.

All the best,
        Hope your rehab is going well otherwise! I'm only in phase 2 right now but mine is progressing, I am using a seated stepper and a stationary recumbant bike right now, being on the treadmill is too much for me yet - my blood/oxygen level drops from 100% down to 90% when I get on it so I'm trying to work up to it!

Lynn
        Lynn Stewart
        HOCM 4/2002
        Cleveland Myectomy Crew 8/2002

Comment

Mary,
          get a copy of the tracings and have them sent to Boston so they can see what is happening.
          Be well!
          Lisa
          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
          Currently not obstructed
          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Mary, I'm glad you will be hooked up to the 5 lead for your next session. That will give some answers. Your ICD may have stored some info for the next interrogation, depending on what it is programed to record. I know you are anxious to hear what your doctor has to say. Hope it's a fluke, but at least you know the staff is watching closely and seriously. Waiting to hear, Linda

Comment

Of course wouldn't you know that they day they monitored me, my heart was just as good as it could be. I only had one PVC during the entire time! So I'm not sure if I should be worried or not. Next time I talk to MM I'll ask him about it.

One more question I was looking back at some of my old echos and my ejection fraction was only 50% and only got to 55% during activity. it also said I have mild enlargement of my Left and Right Atria. There was also a statement about chordal SAM and mild insufficiency of the mitral valve. Is this all normal for HCM?

Mary

Comment

Dear M,

An EF of 50-55 is normal for anyone and the rest is standard for HCM.

LIsa (and I agree) believes that monitors "cure" arrhythmias! Slap a monitor on someone and they all vanish!

take care,

S

Comment

Goofy;

I toohave been at the gym when my HR monitor suddenly dropped very low(you should see my face when that happens) or a very high number and then back to 100 .(my usual) I'm very curious to see what you find out. I too thought it must have been the monitors.

Are you on a beta blocker? How do you get your HR to 140? I can barely break 100.

I know if the monitors go below 60 they are wrong..my pacer setting is at 60 . My resting HR before I got it was 35!

Anyhow, I hope it all gets strightened out for your health and your sanity.

Comment

Boy Sarah, I agree with you whole hardedly. I was suffering horrible arrythmias every nite with feeling faint and my heart sinking. Finally I got to the doctor and got a holter monitor and would you believe I didn't have 1 arrythmia or odd spell the whole 24 hours?? The arrythmias started getting less and less a couple of days before the test. I have only had a couple of spells since the holter monitor. So strange. So now, nothing showed up on the holter monitor test. You must be right that just wearing one of those things cures you of any odd heartbeats!

Comment

So wait ...if this "monitor syndrome" happens to all of us...why dont we just where them all the time and presto! we are all better???

OK I know just wishful thinking!

Lisa
                      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                      Currently not obstructed
                      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Mary,

It may be just me but . . . . A year ago last January I started having the same signs: huge pulse rate changes and many PVCs without really feeling many symptoms. The cardiologist did an echo, a Holter, then a stress EKG and determined that, indeed, I was having a bunch of PVCs.

I was on Toprol XL 200 mg daily then. When we changed my meds in May, I stopped having PVCs entirely. I'm back on a beta-blocker now, but at a relatively lower dosage and the PVCs haven't recurred. I'm convinced they were one of the results of a drug dosage which was too hign for my body to handle.

Just another reason to be discussing the signs with the HCM expert! Good luck, Mary,

Pat

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                        X