If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

end stages

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Daisy Find out more about Daisy
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• end stages

I would like to know, What are the end stages of HCM? A person can be stable for years and then all of a sudden it changes or is it a gradual process?

Re: end stages

Dear Daisy,

I think that it is typically gradual for most people, however, HCM is really different for everyone and it is usually impossible to say "this happens like this" for most of it.

Sorry this isn't really an answer. Perhaps someone with end stage will chime in.

S

Comment

Daisy,

I am 39 y/o and in end-stage HCM. For me it was pretty gradual over the last 10 years, but for the past year it has been more of a downward spiral. For the previous years, my EF has been pretty steady at about 30-40%, but in August it dropped to 20%. In March, I was placed on the transplant list. There were a lot of things I probably should have or shouldn't have been doing, but because of my lack of knowledge on the disease, I didn't know better. But please remember that every single person is different. I thank God I found the HCMA a year ago.

Hope this helps. Matt

Comment

To answer your question better...

End-stage HCM for me was going into chronic A-Fib, then about 5 years later going into chronic CHF, then 3-4 years after that my EF dropping way too low. Over this 10 year period, my symptoms of shortness of breath, tiredness, dizzyness, sleeplessness, headaches, joint pain, water retention, have slowly been getting worse.

Matt

Comment

Daisy, as Matt says, end stage is usually gradual. I had my myectomy 22 years ago. Now at the age of 57 I am on the transplant list. Having gotten worse mainly over the last 2 years. I have less exercise tolerance, CHF, shortness of breath. You did not mention if you are in the end stage. I assume you must be or you would not be asking. Feel free to email me and I can answer more specifically.
          Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
          ICD&Pacemaker 1996
          Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
          Mom of Kaye.

Comment

For most people it is very gradual. I do know of a few people who did turn rather quickly (several months to one year). End stage is a really BAD name and I would like to change the name as it is misleading. Some docs call it "burnt out" - not to thrilled with that one either but I think it is a little better.
            "End Stage" can last for 10-15 even 20 years in some people. So please do not hear the word and think...OK I give up!
            Transplant is an option and there are also many many meds now available that can be of great help.
            My dad is in "End Stage" and honesly 2 years ago it was not looking good. BUT here we are 2 years later and he is doing very well. In fact his EF went up nearly 20 points after managing his meds better.

Be well,
            Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

What does EF stand for?

Comment

EF stands for ejection fraction - which is the measurement of the amount of blood ejected from the heart into the body in a single beat. I believe the norm is anything above 50/55............please someone correct if I am wrong.

Comment

Is EF the same as the lower number on a blood pressure reading? Thanks again.
                  pickaback

Comment

Hi,

No. EF is a number that you will find on an echo report.

* Blood pressure is the force of blood against the walls of the artery.

* Systolic pressure is the highest pressure in an artery when your heart is pumping blood to your body.
                    * Diastolic pressure is the lowest pressure in an artery when your heart is at rest.
                    * Blood pressure measurement is made up of both the systolic and the diastolic pressure. It is normally written like this: 120/80, with the systolic number first.

Your bp is measuring the pressure in your artery where as the EF is measuring the percentage of blood leaving the ventricle.

S

Comment

I would like to open this topic again...
                      Some clarification will be helpful please for new questions:

1) Is end stage inevitable for every HCMer?

2) Does this stage apply to both obstructive and non-obstructive HCM?

3) What kind of medications are used for "end stage" or "burn out" condition?

4) What are the indications, just the symptom of SOB or change in EF?

5) For non-obstructive people seems like options are very few to nothing since A.abl or myectomy is not applicable. What are the course of actions as the condition progresses?

Info please..???
                      Ketan Thanki

Comment

1) Is end stage inevitable for every HCMer?
                        Answer: NO it is in fact rare and only happens in about 10% of cases.

2) Does this stage apply to both obstructive and non-obstructive HCM?
                        Answer: Yes it appears so.

3) What kind of medications are used for "end stage" or "burn out" condition?
                        Answer: Funny thing is that the drugs are the drugs we avoid in HCM - Ace, diruetics, and other drugs that help the heart beat harder.

4) What are the indications, just the symptom of SOB or change in EF?
                        Answer: The EF drops as the walls thin - SOB and fatigue are big symptoms fluid retention it a big one too.

5) For non-obstructive people seems like options are very few to nothing since A.abl or myectomy is not applicable. What are the course of actions as the condition progresses?
                        Answer: Medication changes, pacemakers and ICD's in some rare cases transplant (about 2-3% of cases are transplanted)

Hope this helps.
                        Lisa
                        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                        Currently not obstructed
                        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Lisa, thanks for the information. I was wondering what percent of us get to my stage and now I know. Thank God it is not a higher percentage.
                          Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
                          ICD&Pacemaker 1996
                          Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
                          Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Originally posted by mjesaitis
                            There were a lot of things I probably should have or shouldn't have been doing, but because of my lack of knowledge on the disease, I didn't know better.
                            What are some of those things? Sure, some of them may be obvious but maybe you'll have some input for those of us still trying to do the right thing.

Thanks so much and good luck to you...
                            Tom Mc.
                            Apical HCM

Comment

Re: What About Dobutrex Treatments?

I was told that sometimes in end stage HCM, dobutrex infusions are used to help the heart beat more efficiently. Lisa, have you heard of this? Can you explain?

Thanks.
                              HOCM, Septal Myectomy 10/02 (Mayo Clinic), Medtronic ICD 10/07, TIA 10/07

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X