If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Aura" headaches

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

TammyC I have 3 beautiful children who mean the absolute world to me. They are my life...... Find out more about TammyC
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Aura" headaches

Hi everyone
    Just a question? For the past couple of years if I'm under the whether or stressed or sometimes for no reason at all an aura will appear. It's kinda like when you look into a light and then look away (that feeling). Is this just a migrane or is it possible it's HCM related!!!
    Tammy

Re: "Aura" headaches

There is a very good chance...yet nothing has been "officially" studied on the subject.
    HINT HINT AGAIN!! (Tammy that was not for you that was for our research friends who I know will read this)
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Dear Tammy,

That would be a migraine, BUT many HCMers also have migraines. As luck would have it, beta-blockers tend to redue migraine symptoms. So the answer to your question is "Yes"!

S

Comment

Hi Tammy!

I have had these lovely 'occular migraines' for the last 3-4 years. They first started for me when I was pregnant and undiagnosed w/ HOCM. (I also had the more 'typical' flashing lights and migraines as well.) I'm sure I was a lot of fun to observe when in meetings and one would appear and block my vision as I tried to view papers or a computer screen, etc.! For me the occular migraines usually are not accompanied by a massive headache but rather a dull ache that reminds me it's time to go to bed for a while.

Since having had my myectomy they have significantly reduced but when I am exceptionally tired I will still have them. (Although my more traditional migraines have basically disappeared post-myectomy.) So in a nutshell, it does seem as if HCM does add insult to injury with migraines and auras but as Lisa said, there is nothing offical to date.

Lynn
        Lynn Stewart
        HOCM 4/2002
        Cleveland Myectomy Crew 8/2002

Comment

Hi Lynn
          Thank you so much for replying. You are the first person I know who can relate to them. I've tried to explain them to my colleagues but they don't understand. I work in a school and I'm on the computer all day and when that occular (as you say) - (the only way I could describe them was aura). happens, I can't even see the screen. It's so strange. Thank you for the better term.
          Twice now something else seems to be happening to me as well.
          I was driving to the gym and suddenly my vision seemed to go off to one side (I can't really describe it) like my eyes were rolling but they weren't and my head felt really weird so I just concentrated on one thing and took deep breaths. It only lasted about 2 mins. max.
          Anyways, thanks again! I mean I'm sorry that you get them but I happy that you were able to understand what I mean. That's an occular happy face. LOL
          Oh, by the way! Before these crazy headaches I always got the (white light) headaches, still do actually.
          Tammy

Comment

Hi,

Not sure if it is the same thing, but about 4 years ago I had a series of episodes like you described. Vision was the main thing that was affected. I went to see an opthalmologist and he decided after a series of tests I had experienced what he called painless migrains. I never had the headache part, but it made sense. As suddenly as they started they disappeared. No explaination. Could be that was it. He said they are really fairly common too.

Doug
            NEMC's (Boston) First Myectomy 7-22-2003

Comment

Tammy,
              You are far from alone on this. There were some old postings on the topic (you may want to do a search) I have had this same thing nearly all my life, I can recall many times as a student in JR high and HS running into desks because I did not see them (tons of bruises!!)
              As an adult it is more fun...many time I have to read a report yet I can not see the whole page so I have to move the page into my vision.
              NOTHING seems to help... Bright lights really do bother mine (sun glare is a killer!)
              About half the time the vision problem is followed by a headache and about half of the headaches are followed by an upset tummy. If I am really lucky it is just a vision issue and I go about my day as if nothing is wrong (those tend to be the times I run into things to this day!).
              When someone finds out WHY this happens I WILL BE VERY HAPPY!!!
              Peace!
              Lisa
              Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
              YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
              lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
              Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
              Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
              Currently not obstructed
              Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Hi Lisa.
                Thanks for the reply....This site is such a blessing. Could you please tell me how I read the previous posts...Thanks
                Tammy

Comment

Dear Tammy,

To read other threads or the archives, about a certain topic, use the Search function. The link is in the group of red links above the board threads. Using migraine as your search term will probably give you the best results or headaches or variations on those.

S

Comment

wow
                    Lots of info. on the same topic in the archives.....There must be some connection don't you think?
                    Tammy

Comment

T

I certainly think so. I know Lisa certainly thinks so. However, this isn't something that is easy for doctors to know about and no one is studying it yet --that I'm aware. I think it is just hitting their awareness level. HCM isn't even understood by itself, so getting into what is considered a side issue is not a priority yet. Someday.

S

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                      X