If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

an ocassional light drink

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

liona Find out more about liona
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• an ocassional light drink

Is there anything wrong with taking a scotch and water every so often? I just noticed this on some of the posts. I hadn't drunk at all for 2 decades because I thought it was bad for my health. Since December, I decided that I was being too hard on myself and decided to have a drink every so often. So far, I can't see that it has done any harm.

Re: an ocassional light drink

Hi. I know that some people report that when they drink alcohol they have more arrhythmias. I know that Sarah has mentioned before that both she and her brother went into atrial fibrillation the first time after drinking. I also notice my heart racing more when I have alcohol. The main thing to remember, besides that possible side effect, is that alcohol is dehydrating. If you choose to have an occasional drink, please remember to keep hydrated. And of course, check with your doctor. There may be some contraindication between alcohol and any medicine you might take.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Liona,

I say HCM shouldn't take all of life's little pleasures away from us! If it feels right, and you're well-hydrated, and it doesn't make your heart go pitter-pat, go out and have your occasional drink or two. I myself never quite grasped the concept of 'just one drink' so i won't be joining any of you at the bar. LOL. But i'll have a coffee with you afterwards

Jim
      "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Dear Liona,

Yeah, what Reenie said!

Everyone is different, and if you are able to have a drink without any ill effects, then good for you. However, you should know I did have a drink from time to time before my fateful white sangria episode. I don't know what it was about that time --I can only guess that perhaps my medication was low or that I was under hydrated. And now I'm in afib forever.

Only 20% of HCMers have recurrent afib, though.

No one can tell you what choices to make, only tell you what does what when.

later,

S

Comment

I noticed a long time ago that anything sweet, like wine made my heartbeat change and my left side of my face turn deep red and painful. A dry drink, such as a scotch and water, didn't bring on these problems at all. Since I am diabetic, I thought the diabetes was the reason I reacted this way------

Many a time I've had a hard time convincing my friends that "a little wine" would NOT be nice----- I'd rather drink chlorox----------

It's rather strange that so many problems I and my GP had explained away due to diabetes or tethered cord syndrome turn out to be HCM!!!

Comment

Liona, your last post reminded me of something. When I have more than one drink I also get hot feeling, but it's not usually my face, it's my ears. First my left ear, then my right, will get bright red and hot. I don't know what causes this, but I do know it's a vasodilating effect of the alcohol. That's the effect that you want to avoid, the dilated vessels. Sorry I'm not more helpful.

Reenie
            Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Liona,

It sounds to me like you are allergic to sulfa and sulfides. Most wines --especially reds--are full of them! That would explain the redness. My brother is allergic, which is how I know.

S

Comment

CAUTION....CAUTION.... CAUTION

That is a simple as I can put it. Some people have no problem, in fact I know several people who drank rather heavley PRE diagnosis with minimal problems ... at the time.... some of them have moved on to be in A/F and "end stage HCM" later in life. Are the 2 connected ..WHO know??

Will you be OK to have a drink or 2... maybe.

I know I can have a 1/4 glass of wine or a margarita with only a 1/4 shot of "Ta Kill Ya" in it and be OK...as long as I am drinking water at the same time.

Cheers!
                Lisa
                Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                Currently not obstructed
                Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I would have to be one of those people Lisa is referring to. After my myectomy at 20 which I thought that was the cure (for IHSS), I continued my lifestyle of occasional drinking, the occasional "funny" cigarette, etc. 10 years later I was in chronic A-Fib. 5 years after that I was in end-stage HCM.

Is there a correlation? Would I have changed my habits if I knew what was coming? Who knows? The fact is that now I have, and stopped all my bad habits (except maybe picking my nose). Gotta have some fun

Matt

Comment

Hi everyone!
                    What is atrial fibrillation? and a white sangria episode?
                    Speaking of an occassional drink. Saturday I had "one too many". It's always fun the night of but let me tell you that on Sunday I was in pretty rough shape. It takes me about 2 days now to recover from "partying" and I'm sure that it has to do with HMC. My chest hurts, by heart beats faster, Im really run down and "depressed" and when I'm lying on my left side I feel like my heart is going to jump out of my chest. I know what your thinking "so why do it?". Becasue it's FUN! I have slowed down significantly but every so often I slip and think that I'm 18 not 33. It helps to know that there are others who feel the same effects. By the way I also smoke (cigarettes).....Yuk, I know but I've been doing it since I was 16. You guys probably think I have a death with! I DON'T. It's just that bad habits are REALLY REALLY HARD TO BREAK........
                    Please take it easy on me with your replys....I'm very sensitive...
                    Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by Tammy Correia
                      Hi everyone!
                      What is atrial fibrillation? and a white sangria episode?
                      Speaking of an occassional drink. Saturday I had "one too many". It's always fun the night of but let me tell you that on Sunday I was in pretty rough shape. It takes me about 2 days now to recover from "partying" and I'm sure that it has to do with HMC. My chest hurts, by heart beats faster, Im really run down and "depressed" and when I'm lying on my left side I feel like my heart is going to jump out of my chest. I know what your thinking "so why do it?". Becasue it's FUN! I have slowed down significantly but every so often I slip and think that I'm 18 not 33. It helps to know that there are others who feel the same effects. By the way I also smoke (cigarettes).....Yuk, I know but I've been doing it since I was 16. You guys probably think I have a death with! I DON'T. It's just that bad habits are REALLY REALLY HARD TO BREAK........
                      Please take it easy on me with your replys....I'm very sensitive...
                      Hi Tammy. The atrial fibrillation mention is when the atria don't beat in an organized fashion. The ventricles are much bigger and stronger so they compensate, but when someone is in a-fib they are much more run down because they're heart is working overtime.

The white sangria episode is Sarah's alone. She was drinking some at a party one night, only got about an ounce down. She said that was her first venture into a-fib. For some reason she reacted to it immediately and has been in a-fib off and on ever since. Her brother is in constant a-fib and his started with beer.

You're right, it will take you longer to recover from partying with HCM. Please, take it easy and be smart about your lifestyle choices. We want you to be healthy.

Reenie
                      Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

When i was drinking heavily (okay, when WASN'T i drinking heavily) i was always amazed that my buddies could still get up the next morning and function halfway normally. How do they do that? I'm in bed for an entire day afterwards! I do wonder if the extra-long hangover is HCM-related. What would be the reason for this?
                        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Originally posted by mtlieb
                          I do wonder if the extra-long hangover is HCM-related. What would be the reason for this?
                          DEHYDRATION
                          It's compounded in individuals with HCM.
                          Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

I spoke to 2 of our "big guys" in the HCM world today and asked this very question of them....
                            One said "This is a very bad thing and it should be avoided" the second said "a glass of wine a night should be OK...drinking large amounts is bad and should be avoided as it is associated with A/F and damaging the heart"

Drinking in a "normal person" can lead to A-fib... Now look at someone with HCM with a dilated atria (which most of us have even though we do not talk about that much)...we are more likely to go into A-fib so adding alcohol to the mix...well that is just asking for trouble.

there is something to think about.

Cheers... or maybe not?

Lisa
                            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                            Currently not obstructed
                            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

When I was a teenager my family used to finish off each diner with huge bowls of ice cream. About the age of 14, I started getting a very bad reaction to all this ice cream, with my heart pounding strangely. I stopped eating the ice cream even though my family picked on me endlessly for not joining in. My response was about the same as it is for wine. I thought it was all related to the huge amount of calories and instantly available sugar hitting my bloodstream with a vengence!

Later on, all the members of my family stopped this crazy behavior, but not before harassing me about for years.

When I started my career in Manhattan, it seemed that some drinking was socially required, and my Dr. said that a scotch and water was the least dehydrating drink, so I adopted that choice. Of course this was 30 years ago, so I don't know whether today's Dr.s would agree with his opinion. In any case, my kind of drinking rarely amounts to more than flavored water------- Ice cream seems far more dangerous!!!!!

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X