If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

stress test with Cardiolite

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stress test with Cardiolite

I'm having an MRI and stress test w/Cardiolite on Tuesday at NEMC. I know I'll be in good hands, but am getting a little nervous since it's in a couple of days....any risks with Cardiolite? I know that it says it is a "radioactive tracer" they use for picture taking...getting nervous about the stress test itself also. Had one about 8 yrs. ago at another hospital in Boston but do not remember them placing an IV with this...just getting on the treadmill
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: stress test with Cardiolite

C

It is just a more advanced stress test that will tell them a lot more aobut your heart function. They do them all the time and know how to "eject" the cardiolite if you have any problems. They are quite safe, however.

You can always grill them while you are there, too!

Let us know how it goes and good luck.

Comment

Sarah,

What more can it tell you? I would like to know more on this.
      Doug
      NEMC's (Boston) First Myectomy 7-22-2003

Comment

Doug, one thing it can tell you that a regular stress test can't is how well the oxygen permeates the heart muscle. The radioactive material is in the blood, so it leaves markers in the muscle as it flows through. Then they do a series of pictures before and after the stress test to see how well the blood goes through the muscle during the exercise. *I sure hope I'm explaining that right. I've only watched this once.* Anyone else want to chime in here???

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Reenie gets 10 pts for her answer!
          Your in good hands with NEMC... I know the concept of this test is not pleasant...but there must be something that they are looking for that they feel this test will help them see better.
          Be well,
          Lisa
          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
          Currently not obstructed
          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
          X