If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MRI after Myectomy

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Robert Hartwell Find out more about Robert Hartwell
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mjesaitis
    replied
    I have no idea what type of metal it is, but they look cool on the x-ray. But I agree with Bob... from the cost, they must be gold!

Matt

Leave a comment:

• Rich Miller
    replied
    wow ,this is weird I have a titanium hip replacement and I had an MRI after it was implanted I also have other pieces of metal left over from orthopedic surgeries that couldn't be removed (elbow and face). I have had 2 MRI's and no problem with them!! This must be something about just the metal in the leads that causes the problem.I guess we need to talk to a radioligist to get the skinny on this one
    Rich

Leave a comment:

• Robert Hartwell
    replied
    Of course, given the bill for the surgery, my wires must be made of pure gold!

Bob

Leave a comment:

• Robert Hartwell
    replied
    Well, had my MRI with no trouble at all. I did call my surgeon's office and spoke with a surgical nurse there. She told me that there was no problem with having an MRI after a myectomy. Although she did not know what type of metal was used in the sternal wires, obviously they are made of a non-magnetic material and are unaffected.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• Sarah
    replied
    oh, yeah, that would be bad

Dear Matt,

If Bob has metal wires holding his sternum together, then why was he given the aok for the MRI?

Well, actually certain kinds of metal are ok. They say ALL metal, because you never know what your belt buckle or earrings or whatever are made of --and can't guarantee that they are whatever they say they are, 100%.

It is my understanding that only ferrous metals are dangerous, but mixes are almost everywhere. I just read this article: http://www.biophan.com/release_021302.php which indicates that once the leads on an ICD are changed to a different type, you can have an MRI, even though you have a metal ICD casing.

Ferrous = iron --iron is magnetic. Aluminum is not. Pure gold is not.

So what kind of wire is in your chest?

S

Leave a comment:

• mjesaitis
    replied
    What about the metal wires holding our sternum together?

Matt

Leave a comment:

• Sarah
    replied
    mri

B

Cyn is right --the only thing that would keep you out of an MRI would be any metal in your body --it would try and get OUT!

Keep your eyes closed if its a closed MRI and they should give you earplugs there.

Pretend you are taking a nap. Oh, and the noise is different every time they turn it on.

take care,

S

Leave a comment:

• Cynaburst
    replied
    Dear Bob,

As long you didn't get any metal valve replacements or anything during your surgery. you should be fine. I haven't had a myectomy, but I have had a brain tumor removed that required serial MRIs to follow it. Basically, they place you inside a big magnetic field. Now that I have an ICD, my MRI days are over. The thing to worry about is any metal devices inside the body. They will place you inside a big tube, and take the pictures. Its a little claustrophobic...close your eyes. Also, its noisy...take the earplugs they offer.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Hartwell
    started a topic MRI after Myectomy

MRI after Myectomy

I am scheduled for an MRI tomorrow. The MRI technician contacted a doctor (one I don't know) and they determined that it was OK for me to have the MRI. Any one else been there? I was going to call my surgeon tommorrow just to be safe.

Bob
Working...
X