If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you


No announcement yet.

My Famous Heart


About the Author


liona Find out more about liona
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My Famous Heart

    Well, I had the cardiac cath test at Roosevelt Hospital on Tuesday. Then Wednesday I went to see Dr. Sherrid. He greeted me by saying, Come in and let me hear that Famous heart of yours again------

    They said that my resting gradient was not bad, but the minute I tensed any muscle, the gradient jumped off the charts. Arteries were totally clear. But nerve decifiencies in my heart make a myectomy seem fairly risky. Afterwards, I would be totally dependent on a pacemaker, and if the pacemaker developed a problem, I be immediately dead.

    So, we decided to settle for the ablation, which wouldn't kill off more of the nerves that are left in my heart. Dr. Sherrid said they would get the most experienced Doctor and import him for a day to do the ablation on me. I am thrilled that he is working so diligently on my case!!!

    He said I should shut down the active parts of my lifestyle and patiently wait for a while------ I am so grateful to him.

    I think I will wind up as a clinical writeup---- they seem to all be talking about MY FAMOUS HEART. I know I am a difficult case, but if help is humanly possible, I know they will get the job done.

  • #2
    Hi Liona -

    Ya know, I always heard that if you are going to do something, do it well !!! It sounds like you are certainly doing that.... Do you have a date for the ablation? I'm glad to hear that your docs are willing to do whatever it takes to give you the best care possible. Keep us all updated.

    Mom of Keanu
    4 years old (will be in March)
    Dx at 2 days old with Biventricular hypertrophy
    Dx at 6 weeks with HOCM
    Dx at 5 months with V-tach
    Dx at 3 with Noonan Syndrome


    • #3

      I'm glad that you and your "famous heart" are both happy with your doctor and with the treatment plan that has been set. I hope that everything will go smoothly for you. I'm just so happy for you!


      Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.


      • #4
        Glad to hear your on the path to treatment!
        FYI being pacer dependent is not so bad... my dad is and I know there are a few of you out there too...
        In your "famous" case it sounds like your doig what is best for you and I wish you all the best!
        Keep us up to date on your progress!
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

        Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)


        • #5
          How interesting! A case where an ablation is less risky than a myectomy. That goes to show that Lisa is right. We are all different. Different treatments for different folks. I wish you well Liona. Please let us know how it goes and when you have your ablation.


          Today's Birthdays