If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insurance Question

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

hismom Find out more about hismom
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance Question

Hi again everybody,
    Things have been hectic around here so not much time to post. Kollin has been on atenolol for 3 weeks now and is doing SO much better then he was on inderal.
    His father and I were discussing his insurance a few days ago. He is presently covered by the military as a dependent and as long as he is in school full time will remain so till 23. However, at that time the military will no longer cover him. Granted we have quite a few years between now and then but won't it be difficult for us to find an insurance plan to cover him since it will be a predisposed condition? Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated. We just know that adolescent years are the ones we really have to watch because of hormones and growth changes. We'd hate for him to be in his teens with all that going on and no doctor.
    Anywho~ Hope all of you are doing well.
    Reenie, if you read this let me know how things went yesterday!! I was thinking about ya'
    Good friends are good for your health.
    --Irwin Sarason

Hi Misty. Thanks for the good thoughts. It went well. I called her today and told her that I've thought about it and want to proceed with the procedure. I'm not sure of all the steps between now and then, but will most likely start with getting off of my meds and getting an event monitor. I'm hoping for a return call tomorrow. Other than that I have no info. But my records got here today! Hooray!! I'll keep you posted.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Hi,

The Health Insurance Reform Act of 1996 declares that if you have had insurance coverage for the preceeding 12 months and you switch plans, then you can't be denied coverage for any pre-existing condition. There are a couple minor restrictions on this -like type of plan, I think, but it covers almost everyone.

If your son ever has the opportunity to buy life insurane through a group plan, especially a portable life insurance plan, then he should buy some as it will his only opportunity unless the law changes (ha ha).

Military insurance may have some quirks but even if he leaves school before 23, he should be able to get COBRA ---or did someone say you can't COBRA from the military? Lisa, the HR director, should answer this one. Then he can COBRA until he gets a job with benefits.

But since he can't leave school for a long, long, long time, I wouldn't worry about it.

S

Comment

I know this does not sound like something I would say but... I would not worry about this at this time...WHY there are likely to be major changes in the law between now and then...you can not plan this YET...I would think about it again when he is in his late teens.
        Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Thyanks everybody! And Lisa I knew you were gonna say that! I was thinking it myself. Not only could there be major changes in insurance laws and policies but major medical breakthroughs as well.
          Sarah~ I had completely forgotten about COBRA. It is an option I believe. Thanks for reminding me.
          Reenie I will keep you in my thoughts. Hope everything continues to go smoothly.
          Take care everybody and talk to you soon.!
          Good friends are good for your health.
          --Irwin Sarason

Comment

Working...
          X