If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blurred Vision

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Missie72 Find out more about Missie72
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blurred Vision

I was wondering if anyone else has blurred vision on their "bad heart days"?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with my meds as I started having trouble before I was diagnosed, but I noticed a pattern even back then. Plus I switched to Cardizem in February (from Metoprolol) and I still have trouble. I've had my eyes checked and they are fine as well.

Also, at my last checkup my doc doubled my Cardizem because (in his words) the murmur is loud again and my resting heart rate is too high. Anyone else have this trouble?

Please keep in mind I am not well versed in this disease, I have read the book that is sold thru HCMA, but that's about it.
    Missie
    HCM diagnosed 8/1/11
    changed to HOCM 1/23/12
    Septal Myectomy 4/5/12 at CCF
    Gene positive, no one in my immediate family is willing to be tested, including my 21 year old son

Re: Blurred Vision

Was that your local cardiologist that increased your meds or your CCF team? I ask this because listening to your heart and having a louder murmur is not the usual criteria for changing medications. In HCM your murmur can change from hour to hour and day to day. The question from me would be, are your symptoms increasing? Since you've had a myectomy does your CCF team need to re-evaluate your condition? Is your local cardiologist talking to the CCF team?
    As far as blurred vision, I know Disopyramide lists blurred vision....not sure of other drugs. Also, are you a diabetic or have you been screened? High blood sugars cause blurred vision I have witnessed that big time.
    After years of symptoms:
    Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
    Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
    Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
    At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Yes, it was my local cardiologist that increased my meds. I stopped the metoprolol in February from having about 95% of the listed side effects, that's when I started the Cardizem. At the end of April he doubled the Cardizem based on my heart rate and murmur.

My symptoms have been slowing increasing since last fall, but nothing like they were before the myectomy. And being on the Cardizem has made me feel human again compared to the metoprolol. I am not diabetic and have been screened for it.

I doubt my doctor is communicating with CCF. I had such a horrible experience there with my surgery there that I'm pretty sure that's why he's not in contact with them. Unfortunately they are the only COE in my network.
      Missie
      HCM diagnosed 8/1/11
      changed to HOCM 1/23/12
      Gene positive, no one in my immediate family is willing to be tested, including my 21 year old son

Comment

There seems to be an odd relationship with HCM and Vision - I'm assuming its a micro vascular issue. Once I diagnosed with HCM, I started to develop those glorious Optical Migraines. While annoying as heck, they are painless, wonderfully trippy and only last 15 minutes. Its happened on many different types of meds so not sure what the true issue is.
        Marc
        Diagnosed @ 48
        Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
        Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
        AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
        After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
        Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Hey Marc! That's crazy, I was diagnosed with optical migraines about 3 months after my HCM diagnosis! My vision is never blurry with those but I get tunnel vision and tons of floaties. This is more like I need eye drops to clear my eyes but that never works to clear them. Its troublesome because I really need to see to drive and work lol
          Missie
          HCM diagnosed 8/1/11
          changed to HOCM 1/23/12

Comment

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with CCF.....but glad you're feeling better with cardiazem. When I took metoprolol I cried for the whole 4 weeks I was on it....Then told the doctor Id rather live with the chest pain then take anymore of the drug.
            On bad HCM days I can have trouble with mental focusing and word finding. I joke that I'm not getting enough blood to my brain on those days....But maybe it's not a joke and maybe the same thing goes for the eye issues... Decreased circulation on bad HCM days
            After years of symptoms:
            Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
            Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
            Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
            At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

I too have optical migranes. No headache what so ever. My vision is affected and I can't drive for the 30 minutes that it takes for it to go away.
              Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
              Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
              ICD 10/08

Comment

I used to have optical migraines (ocular migraines, I was told they're called). Mine would be reverse tunnel vision--I could see peripherally, but nothing in the middle that I was focused on. And I would have these floating brightly colored auras. They could be triggered by bright glare. They'd last 3-4 hours and I couldn't read, work, or drive.

My GP prescribed a wonderful anti-migraine drug called Frova. One 2.5 MG pill at onset, and it would last about 15-20 minutes instead of 3-4 hours.

After I went on Toprol, though, they largely went away. My local cardiologist told me that beta blockers can work to prevent the migraines.
                Diagnosed (w/obstruction) 2003 at 39
                Alcohol Septal Ablation Feb. 2006
                Myectomy April 2007 Cleveland
                Pacemaker dependent (no ICD)
                Thankful and doing fine

Comment

I have blurred vision. Primarily on the days my heart is not working well.
                  Hard to watch TV or read

Comment

I get occasional periods of optical migraines. The events are clustered with repeat occurrences over several days. Timing seems to be when I get out of my normal routine due to work and do not have a regular bed / sleep duration time. Mine are the blurred dancing vision around the edges giving a tunnel effect.
                    Hugh

Comment

Working...
                    X