If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hopping MAD!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Toogoofy317 non-obstructed hcm, AICD 11-01-02 and 10-6-05 Find out more about Toogoofy317
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopping MAD!

Will my luck ever get any better .

I went to my primary today to check up on my arm which was mutilated by what I swear are idiots. She did not find any blood clots Thank God. But my largest vein in my arm is so inflammed to the point that I am not getting adequate blood flow to the rest of my right arm. Which, I am right handed Of course! My right arm is a nice ashen color and is as painful as all get out. My vein has a nice brown shade going the full length of my arm. She believes it could well be infected so she prescribed anitbiotics. Which with the power of my bad luck the medication is not covered by my insurance so it is $80 for 14 pills! Struggling college student and missing two weeks of work means I can't afford the medicine! I don't know what to do

I am so frustrated that I can't even think straight I don't believe I should have to pay out of pocket for what these blooming idiots are doing.
    This entire ordeal was caused by a nurse who did not look at my medical chart and actually read my allergies. That does not take a brain surgeon to do! You know I would not be all to upset if this were the first time something like this has happened to me but it is the third time in a one year time frame. Something has to give with the medical community. Everyone needs to start taking responsibility for these atrocities that are happening in our health care! Insurance companies should not be making the decisions of the doctors. This is coming from a person who is a member of the medical community. I've been in this field for less than a year the grass is not greener on the other side. Most people think that because you are in health care that you get better treatment. You don't in fact it seems like they tell you less because you know what they are talking about!

This is not geared tward those health care providers that have the patients best interest at heart.

I am sorry if this offends anyone but I had to get it out! I'm not sure what to do or if it is worth trying to pursue! All I know is that my right arm is going to be painful and will take months to heal! I guess I will get off my soap box and put an end to this long winded post!

Mary S.

rotten

Dear Mary,

I know how you feel. I had to beg not to be given morphine once, and they settled on half a dose. My heart rate dropped to 40! Can you imagine if they'd given me the whole dose? I would probably not be writing to you now.

Anyway, call the doctor that prescribed the medication and tell her it isn't covered by your plan and ask her to prescribe something that is. There is probably something that will work and be covered --you just have to look. Your insurance company's formulary should be on their web site.

hang in there!!!

S

Comment

Take a deep breath... count to 10 ...
      Now...
      Call the dr. see if a different med will work. Then you need to file a complaint with the healthcare provider that caused the original problem. I know it sounds simple but...if they do not know it is broke...they cant fix it. We tend to assume that someone must know that we had bad treatment..but if it is not documented...then how do they know your unhappy or have recieved treatment you feel is less then appropriate.

I hope it starts looking up for you soon...
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I agree with the advice you've already gotten from Lisa & Sarah. Write out your complaint and submit. And definetly get the med thing turned around. Don't be embarrased about not being able to afford it. A lot of us are going thru tough financial situations and there is no shame in that. If anyone looks at you funny or treats you in a condescending way just remember some day they make walk in your shoes and and may be coming to you for services and you will be able to return their attitude with a reaffirming attitude and give them the kind of svc. you should have received. I'm rambling.

Hang in there and remember are worthy of honor and respect at all times.

Diana

Comment

Just a general comment to everyone about prescription drugs and insurance. When you are at your doctors office and he/she prescribes a new medication for an ailment, be bold and ask for samples. Most all physicians have them but many times you need to ask.

Bob
          Cleveland Myectomy Crew
          Member since November 2002

\"Chance favors the prepared mind!\"

Comment

Boy I am on a roll

I went to my physician today to get my arm checked out again. She is sending me for a doppler because there is a possibility of a blood clot and she wants to be sure!

When I went I was feeling pretty bad severe fatigue, shortness of breath, dizziness, and my heart was mildly tachacardic a rarity for me. She said I could be going into CHF so she prescribed me for a week regimine of Lasix to see if it would help. She also said to call her answering service at five o'clock to see if my symptoms were getting any worse she also wanted to check with the cardiologist to make sure of her diagnosis. The system is down and I'm not feeling any better my pulse is very strong and about 100 resting. I am beginning to wonder if this is from being off of all of my medication for a week?

I just feel so broken down right now. I don't know how much more of this I can take. Thanks for listening! I am feeling real sorry for myself right now because I just don't know what to do!

Mary S.

Comment

Call the cardiologist if you can not get the doc you spoke to..also you may want to check with Boston re the Lasix... that may be too much for you...ask before you go too many days on this REMEMBER dehydration is very bad in HCM ..not that CHF is good...neither are... it is so hard to balance them sometimes.
              Take care!!
              Lisa

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
              Currently not obstructed

Comment

mary mary mary

hang in there!!!!!!!!

We are all thinking of you and want the best for you. Feel free to pm me anytime.

Did you get the drugs squared away?

Im sorry you are getting the shaft. keep us posted and go get a treat or something --maybe have an at-home spa day if you can.

big hug,

S

Comment

Thanks for the advice. If I cannot get a hold of my doc by tomorrow I will go ahead and call the cardiologist on call and see what they say. If my cardiologist isn't on call though I very well could be setting myself up for more disaster! I DON'T need anymore of that.

I've been back on my regular meds for about a week without a lot of change. Last night is really when the problems kicked in I could not sleep with my two pillows I had to go to four just to be able to sleep somewhat. Hopefully I'll start feeling better and wait until Monday to call Dr. Maron. Just to see what he says.

Thanks to all!

Mary S.

Comment

Just to change the pace a little.. can you please define "hopping mad"...
                    is this like a bunny rabbit... a kid hopping... what is "HOPPING..mad"

Mary...just my attempt to get you to smile!

Feel well soon!
                    Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

Mary, I'm sorry you're having such a horrible time. Your first priority is your health - both the arm and your heart symptoms(SOB, etc.). Get in touch with the doctor you know will do the best for you, don't give up till you reach that person. You need to have all this documented, esp about the arm. When you have your immediate health needs taken care of, you need to get back to the facility/caregivers who caused the problem with the arm. If it was the hospital, they have a risk manager and you will probably find that they should cover expenses incurred secondary to their errors. So you must have good documentation. The risk manager will be more than to happy to talk with you and get to the bottom of things. Their job is to straighten things out quickly and prevent recurrances. Keep us posted, and don't drag your feet on this one!
                      Lisa, I think "hopping mad" is kind of like "chewing up nails and spitting out tacks" I know you will understand that one. Linda

Comment

yeh..but I needed to make Mary laugh a little

Currently not obstructed

Comment

Ya got a pretty good grin from me. I really needed that! Tomorrow I will get in touch with the doctor and see what words of wisdom she has. I am exhausted so I'll let you all know how it comes out!

Mary S.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                          X