If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi, new user from Portugal

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

fausto.freire Find out more about fausto.freire
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, new user from Portugal

Hi, my name is Fausto Freire and I am 32 years old. I am from Europe, more exactly the south - Portugal. I was diagnosed with HCM (with obstruction) 9 years ago (when doing the inspection for military service, which of course I've failed - this was the only good news... However I must also acknowledge that having HCM changed the way I see life (in a better way, trying to do a better job enjoying every moment!)

This email is to introduce myself and to thank you all very much for creating this association and maintaining this site. I have been checking it for a couple of years and I really find it very useful. Besides having the opportunity to know what people like me feel (I have never met personally anyone else with HCM...) it has been a very good source of information.

There is, in particular, one issue about my particular case which it would be great to have your comments and to know your experience. However, I am not sure if I should post it here or in the medication forum?

Please let me know so that I can send the details. My question is about taking or not amiodorone after having had atrial fibrillation (successfully reverted after electric conversion) 9 months ago when now I mainly have minor symptoms (In fact, I have stopped taking it 3 months ago)

Thank you very much and congratulations for your excellent work. It has been an excellent help.

Fausto

Fausto,

Welcome to the HCMA. You can post your question on either board, whichever you feel more comfortable with. You mentioned that you are the only one you know with HCM. Has any of your family been tested? I hope we will be able to help you and to answer your questions. Again, welcome.

Reenie

PS: I am sure that someone else will respond to your medication question. I have no knowledge about amiodarone besides what I read here.
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

amio and welcome

Hi,

Glad you found us!

My family all has afib with our HCM, and some of us are on amio and others are not.

Please post your question (Reenie is right, we aren't very strict on where you post here) so others can respond, but also feel free to use the PM button (private message) me and I can share my family's experience.

Take care,

S

Comment

Welcome and thank you for your kind words.

Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Hi Fausto, I have been taking Amio for a year now with great results.
          I was worried at first because of the side effects it can produce, but as of now none have affected me except I am a little more sensitive to the sun and have to use a good sun block.
          I go every three months for blood tests to check my liver function and as I said all is OK so far.
          It's a hard decision because as you know all medications affect people in different ways.
          Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
          So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
          Good luck and stay well.
          Glen

Comment

Working...
          X