If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

shock or vibration in my heart

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Jimmy Happily married two daughters three grandchildren. I am a minister we also have a small farm Find out more about Jimmy
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shock or vibration in my heart

This might sound crazy has anyone every felt tiny shock our the feeling of vibration in your heart that feels a lot like a cell phone vibrating. Mine has been doing that for years I would tell my doctors about it they acted like it was in my mind just like when I told I could feel and hear my heart beat some times just wondering if anyone else has this problem
    Myectomy January 8 2014

Re: shock or vibration in my heart

In the last few months I have been feeling like my heart vibrates as well! I thought it was losing my mind. Not that I am happy yours is doing it too, just happy to know I'm not crazy lol I had a myectomy 20 months ago at Cleveland. Where will your surgery be?
    Missie
    HCM diagnosed 8/1/11
    changed to HOCM 1/23/12
    Septal Myectomy 4/5/12 at CCF
    Gene positive, no one in my immediate family is willing to be tested, including my 21 year old son

Comment

I will be having surgery at Cleveland clinic jan 8th. How you doing after your surgery
      Myectomy January 8 2014

Comment

well guys that is just one of my reoccurring symptoms that drive me crazy. I go in tomorrow for my regular 6week exercise in futility with the transplant team and I'll be really complaining about this. It's been vibrating, fluttering or buzzing (or however you can describe it) on and off for a couple of days but nothing today I have an AICD but I don't think it's coming from it and it doesn't feel like the palpitations I've had before, just another thing to scratch my head over.
        had HCM since birth
        'enlarged heart' identified in 96'
        HOCM dx in 7/08
        Myectomy 8/09
        extended Myectomy 5/10
        'End stage' HCM dx 8/10
        CRT-D implanted 9/10
        evaluated for Transplant 11/10
        Listed for transplant 6/11

Comment

I get this feeling daily, I describe it as fluttering or a shock. Ive been having it for so long now and every time i mention it it just gets looked over.
          Myectomy - 21st May 07

Comment

I have not had any surgerys yet but I have had the shocking or vibrating problem for a while it so strong it feels like my cell phone vibrating I grab my shirt pocket thinking it my cell
            Myectomy January 8 2014

Comment

I am much better after surgery. I still get tired like I used to but my heart doesn't hurt as much and I don't get short of breath as often. My vibrating heart is totally different than the flutters, etc. Freaked me out the first time it did it and it feels really weird, and happens mostly when I lay down.
              Not much longer Jimmy and you will be feeling much better!!!
              Missie
              HCM diagnosed 8/1/11
              changed to HOCM 1/23/12
              Septal Myectomy 4/5/12 at CCF
              Gene positive, no one in my immediate family is willing to be tested, including my 21 year old son

Comment

I am ready to get this done any improvement will be great
                Myectomy January 8 2014

Comment

Jimmy - wishing you the best, will be watching for updates.

Linda

Comment

Linda I have a question I see a lot of people talking about lvot gradient mine was 203 can tell me if that high low or what. I was caught of guard when Dr Levers said I needed surgery I was really thinking up my meds or change them was not thinking about surgery yet. So I am trying to find out all the info I can I fully trust the doctor at Cleveland but I still have a lot of questions
                    Myectomy January 8 2014

Comment

Jimmy - yes, this LVOT gradient number would be in a very high range. Was this at rest, or provoked during testing? Dr Lever would certainly take this very seriously, esp considering the symptoms and struggles you've had. See the articles below for quite comprehensive information about gradients in HCM. It's good to seek out all the information you can, learn all you can and be well prepared for surgery. You have an excellent team to care for you - feel free to ask them all the questions you have before surgery.

Best wishes - Linda

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract
                      http://content.onlinejacc.org/articl...icleid=1136777

Comment

Hi Jimmy,
                        A pressure gradient of 203 is very high. It means that the pressure inside your heart is much greater than just outside (in the aorta), because of your obstruction. Think of a hose, with your thumb over part of the end - the water that comes out does so very fast (and so the hose squirts farther) but you've raised the pressure inside the hose a lot. That's what the obstruction in your heart is doing, and it's why they recommended surgery.

The gradient should be close to 0. Yours is high, even for people with obstructions. That's why they scheduled you quickly.

Gordon
                        Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

That is what I thought Dr Lever did not even talk about trying new meds he said it would not help me I needed to have surgery I was also put on the list to be bump up if they had any opening
                          Myectomy January 8 2014

Comment

Linda from my understanding it was provoked
                            Myectomy January 8 2014

Comment

Its important to ask questions, especially when they toss out numbers like that willy-nilly. Its one thing if you've gone to med school! Doctors do this all the time. I alway tell Newbies to keep a journal of questions. Also, you can note any "off things" (like this fluttering). You don't have an AICD so we know your battery isn't low. If you have one, they could compare its data dump with your notes. and look at the date & time for clues. Sounds like atrial flutter to me. And believe me, if it was a shock, you'd know it!
                              Marc
                              Diagnosed @ 48
                              Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
                              Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
                              AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
                              After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
                              Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X