If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Latest Episode

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Rich Miller Find out more about Rich Miller
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Latest Episode

hey all thought I would share this with you all. 2 weeks ago today I woke up 2 hrs earlier tahn normal just feeling bad and felt like heart was raceing so at 8:00 I called Dr and told them how i felt, my doc wasnt in so they said they would consult with who-ever was there and call me back.I had just started on sat taking altace along with my toprol xl thought maybe this was the cause.well about 10:my wife called and suggested maybe my electrolytes were off and drink some juice i told her that i allready did, so she said well maybe eat a pickle would help, so being the good hubby I am(Happy Wife Happy Life) I went into kitchen and got out the pickles. i had been having angina all morning but it was really bad now i had to go and sit down. got up after a bit and went back and got 2 pickles , came back and ate 1 and then 'BAM' my ICD fired. so i called doc back same thing we will call you back!! i waited a half hour and when they didnt call me back i went to them. well i got some action then they they hooked me up to a medtronics computer to see why ICD fired and i was in V-Tachbeing i V-Tach i had no veins and they had a terrible time getting an I-V started ,and then gave me some lopresser and tehn some valium but that didnt work still in V-Tach, so they called ambulance and transported me to hosp. there they poked me about 10 more times trying to get another I-V started finally they did ,even though my blood work was ok they started me on some magneiseum and then 'BAM' icd fired again they called myEP doc and he said to start an I-V of amiodarone. wow was that a mistake about 15 sec after it was started i got nausea, and then couldnt get any air they stopped it but some was allready in then i got these pains ,felt like some was hitting me with a cane right across my back at kidney level, oh i thought i was a gonner. so they called EP doc back ( kinda funny he didnt come to hosp) he said to send me to ECCU and have them start I-V of Litacain and also adavan well taht put me out of it until Fri . then i got a room back where i was before and they started me on beta pace 120 mg 2 times per day it made my head spin so they cut back to 80 and started mexitil 150mg 3 times per day still had lots of pvc's and and some V-Tach both sustained and non.well finally last Thus they let me out ,still fuzzy head and lots of pvc's after being home for a few days i am kinda getting better with light head and pvc's . But what gets me about this whole thing is my EP doc and cardioligist never once made and appearance at the hosp and I checked on those days i was out of it no show even made a request for cardioligist nope.now being here in SC is nice as far as the weather goes I am origanally from NE Ohio and they have better docs there (my Father saw DR LEVER in the 70 when ha was alive)so its not all good here but hopefully it will get better and i have changed EP docs this wasnt first time i was let down by this one. well thats about it I am getting better and life goes on just have to adjust those sails !!!! Rich
    Allways remember you cannot control the wind!!
    However you can adjust your sails!!

Gosh, Rich. You sure had a heck of a week, didn't you? I'm glad you're all right. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Did you fire your reg cardio too? If he didn't even come see you.... Sounds to me like you really need another doc. Please rest as much as you can and take care of yourself.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Hey reenie , well not yet but we are gonna have a real serious talk when I see him at the end of this month!! Thanks for your concern

Comment

UFF DA!
        My question is what caused the V-T? I do not think it was the pickle... How long had you been on Altace and what dose?
        I hope your feeling better and I am so sorry you had so much trouble!
        Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Hey Lisa alltace 2.5 mg once per day, I t was my first thought as cause but everyone who is supposed to know said no.oh well go figure ?
          Rich

Comment

pickles

L

I dunno! What kind of pickle was it? Sweet gherkin? Kosher dill? Big? Small? I think we need to look into this!!

(I'm not trying to make light of what must have been a horrible and scary experience. I'm very glad you are better. I would fire the whole kitandkaboodle before they kill you!)

take care,

S

Comment

Sarah, kosher dill w/garlic about the size of a roll of quarters.well I am looking for a new doc now but these are suposed to be the best group in town. But I am looking. I hired their new EP doc ,he is the one that came to see me and prescibed my new meds so we will see,kinda play-it by ear . and my reg cardiologist has done a pretty good job up to now he is the one to suggest pacemaker therapy with ICD to reduce gradiant and it did .It went from 75 resting to 12 during val-salvo .he didnt admit me so technically i wasnt his patient but he should have come to see me I was there 10 days. so I am not a happy camper but .. allways a but!!every other Dr i talk to here the first thing they want to do is alcohol ablation and i know thats not the way to go ,atleast for now any way. thanks for the response . Rich

Comment

6 of one, half a dozen of the other

Well, hm. I dunno about that pickle.

But I know what you mean about the doctors. I had one who was seeing me for the first time and was 2 pages into my file when he suggested ablation. Finished the file, said (sadly) that I wasn't a candidate (which I already knew). PS we are not talking septal alcohol but Radio frequency for rhythm.

Each time I saw him, he would bring up ablation, like it was just a matter of time before he could figure out how to get me on a table.

However, he DID want to put me on coumadin. And in hindsight, if I had continued to see him, I can almost guarantee I would not have had my stroke. So I understand how you feel.

later,
                S

Comment

Rich, I am very sorry to hear about your adventure. Or should I say mis-adventure! It sounds very frightening. Worse than my excursion at the hospital about a week ago! I thought they were going to do me in. What the heck are we suppose to do when we think we may be dying?? Dr. Shah told me I was a smart lady to leave against medical advice but I was not halfway as sick as you were (I don't think???). Anyway, I am glad you are home safe and sound. Did they take away that altace? Or give you a new med or what?

Comment

Kathy,

yea they took away altace and toprol xl and put me on betapace 80mg 2times per day and mexictil 150 mg 3 times per day. I hope you are better also . atleast we do have decent weather here now, I talked to my Mom in Ohio and they are still a winter wonderland and I can remember how my dad couldn't breathe when he went outside and it being that cold!! but the cleve. clinic was only a 30 mile drive too ,so you take the good with the bad. thanks for caring.

Rich

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                    X