If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NSVT and SVT

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

SheliRenee Find out more about SheliRenee
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSVT and SVT

Hi Everybody -

I was wondering if anybody could tell me about Non-Sustained Ventricular Tachycardia and Sustained Ventricular Tachycardia. How is it determined which a person has? Is either of these worse than the other?

Thanks for any input.

SheliRenee
    Mom of Keanu
    4 years old (will be in March)
    Dx at 2 days old with Biventricular hypertrophy
    Dx at 6 weeks with HOCM
    Dx at 5 months with V-tach
    Dx at 3 with Noonan Syndrome

abbreviations

Hi

When you see SVT, it means supra or super-ventricular tachycardia (not sustained). This is a fancy way of saying atrial tachycardia (the atria being above or "superior to" the ventricles).

NSVT, however, means non-sustained vtach. Fancy way of saying "brief" or short-lived, sometimes called a "run."

Atrial tachycardia means the heart rate is over 100 beats per minute. People can have long bouts of tachycardia, but you want to keep it down with medication. Ventricular tachycardia means the bottom half of the heart is beating too fast, as opposed to the top half (the atria).

Almost everyone with HCM has SVT from time to time. Vtach is more rare and the more dangerous. Lots of vtach is considered a risk factor.

take care,

S

Comment

Hey Sarah,

It wasn't my post, so forgive me for sticking my nose in, but that was very helpful info to have. Thanks!

Jim
      "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

no noses

Dear Jim,

Last I checked. butting in is what you are supposed to do here! :P

S

and you're welcome.

Comment

So does that mean there's no such thing as sustained Ventricular Tachycardia or there is, but it's not abbreviated SVT? I just want to be totally clear....

SheliRenee
          Mom of Keanu
          Dx at 6 weeks with HOCM

Comment

yes and no

Dear SH,

Here is a link to a very clear explanation of vtach: http://www.hendrickhealth.org/healthy/001451.htm

Sustained vtach is usually just referred to as VT and non-sustained as NSVT.

SVT is usually super-ventricular tachycardia.

Note my use of the word "usually."

Linda --can you speak to this (she's a nurse).

S

Comment

Great link, Sarah. Thanks for the info.

Reenie
              Reenie

Husband has HCM.
              3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Sarah, you have the correct info. It can get very confusing, esp with illegible handwriting as we so often see on written reports. Thank goodness for dictations these days. The very basic description of V-tach is 3 PVC's(premature ventricular contractions) together in a row. Sustained VT is described as 30 seconds or more, but I suspect different facilities/experts may have different criteria depending on what they are studying. Those who want to avoid confusion/misunderstandings will spell out non-sustained VT. Anyone from a different area have anything to add? Linda

Comment

Thank you all for the information. That is a great link. From what you all have said and the information from the Hendrick link, I am getting that NSVT is not as bad as sustained VT...am I right?
                  Mom of Keanu
                  Dx at 6 weeks with HOCM

Comment

if you had to choose

Since VT is bad, the less of it, the better. So, yes, NSVT is better than VT.

But SVT (aka atrial tachycardia) is better than NSVT.

Ven diagram anyone?

S

Comment

Well, I guess if Keanu had to have a tachycardia, then the atrial would have been better, however, he has the NSVT. When he had his echo and EKG on the 4th of this month I heard the doctor mention that he had NSVT. He also wants us to get an AED to keep with Keanu wherever he goes. We will also be seeing two different pcs again - one for the arrythmia and one for the obstruction. This is how it was after Keanu was first diagnosed with the arrythmia, we saw his original pc and then started seeing the EP also. His original pc moved and we were only seeing the EP. After questioning him last week he suggested that we also start seeing another pc that has more knowledge about HCM/HOCM and is treating more patients. I think he felt that this other doctor would be better qualified to answer all of the questions that I have. I always seem to have a long list of questions whenever we go in. Anyway, thanks again for all the info you guys have shared with me.

SheliRenee
                      Mom of Keanu
                      Dx at 6 weeks with HOCM

Comment

Keep bringing the long list of questions. There should be more patients who are involved in their own care and understand what's happening to themselves. Not to mention it keeps the docs on their toes and up to date. We have all seen docs who skim over their time with us and by asking questions, you assure that they actually think of you as a person, not just another body running through the assembly line of the appointment system. Sorry if that sounded harsh to some, but it's my experience.

Reenie
                        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                        X