If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butterflies

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Sandy H Find out more about Sandy H
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butterflies

Okay, got a question! I’ve been reading this message board for about a year..I think….and keep thinking how lucky I am in comparison to the many really severe situations “you other people” have. Up until a couple days ago, the only symptoms I have had (most of the time) has been chest pain and slight sob when I do my daily 3 mile walk. Oh yes, I’m on Cardizem & cozaar and very rarely notice any symptoms except when I walk as I said. Sooo. …a couple days ago I started having those “butterflies” in the chest & maybe a little light headed feeling. They were infrequent until today….been getting more frequent all day and now very frequent and along with the butterflies in the chest I’d say there is an all over weak feeling and almost queezy in the stomach. Suddenly this disease that I have been making light of, has me feeling very apprehensive.
    Now the question…..Is this the way you guys feel all the time or is this something to be concerned about? Admittedly I could make a phone call to Mayo (just a few blocks away) but somehow feel more comfortable asking my “dumb” questions of my fellow HCMers. Appreciate any input.
    Sandy

wow

Dear Sandy,

You LIVE next to the Mayo? I would be jealous, except I've been there 4 times ---what do you guys do up there for fun???

There is another thread going on in the forum about symptoms and how they come in waves. However, this is a new thing for you which requires an ECG to determine what it is exactly.

The next time you have a new symptom, please call the Mayo --because as supportive and helpful as we want to be, we can't diagnose you over the Internet.

let us know what the smart ones have to say.

S

PS yes, feeling crappy and weird are something most of us have some of the time.

Comment

Sandy, lightheaded, weak, queasy, increasing feeling of butterflies in chest? Time to call your doctor who knows all the ins and outs about you. Don't ignore symptoms of this nature, esp if you may be having a change in your heart rhythm that may be causing the "buttefly feeling". From your post, it sounds as tho these symptoms are a rather sudden and new thing for you, and the sudden onset is reason to call your doctor now. Once again, we must all remember that the message board is a great thing to share & educate, but let's not compromise safety by delaying emergency care, if indeed, someone's symptoms may suggest the need. Better to learn it was an unnecessary call than to waste time if you have a serious problem that should be treated. Also, there are no dumb questions here, you are among friends who care. Let us know how you are doing. Linda

Comment

I am curious. Are either of your meds new ones?

Comment

Thanks all for the input. No, not new meds. Only thing new (just thinking things thru) is that I re-started the Weight Watchers diet this week. Am definitely getting all the water I need so can't see how that would cause this. I will call the clinic if this isn't resoved soon but guess I hate to sound like a hypochondriac....that's why I asked if this is "normal" for other HCMers. Just nice to have a resource like this to be a sounding board.

Comment

I was just curious about the meds because I had similar symptoms when I started a new BP med. Candesartan. It is in the same family as Cozaar. I know it is dangerous to speak in generalities but Dr. Shah told me that the candesartan was not good for my obstruction. I think cozaar is losartan. You might check on that med. Call the doctor tommorrow and don't worry about being a hypochrondiac! I feel like that sometimes myself and hate calling my cardiologist.

Comment

Sandy,
              CALL Doug at the Mayo's HCM center. talk to him, this may be something little or it could be signs of A-Fib. YOU DO NOT WANT TO MESS AROUND HERE. There are NEVER silly questions here... yous symptoms are REAL and they should be looked at. Like I said it may very well be nothing major...but if it is new then you need to talk to your health care provider sooner than later.
              let us know how you make out.

Lisa
              Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
              YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
              lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
              Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
              Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
              Currently not obstructed
              Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X