If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's a question. Symptoms in phases or steady?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cooksnj Find out more about cooksnj
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a question. Symptoms in phases or steady?

I've noticed that my symptoms seem to be in phases. Sometimes I'm great, no funny heart beats, SOB is not so bad, & sometimes they are worse. Does any one else have this or are youre smptoms allways there. Just wondering. Thank you.
    \"When I\'m gone and people think of me... I want them to smile and laugh.\" Jason Caldwell

depends

hi,

as most things with HCM, it all depends. My atrial fibrillation is a symptom of HCM and I'm now in it all the time. However, most symptoms do go in waves, have catalysts, but some maybe low-level constant all the time. And it can change. Makes it very important to listen to your body and understand your symptom triggers, if any.

take care,

S

Comment

I seem to go in cycles too. If I ever sat down to chart the severity of symptoms, I think It would look like a roller coaster - some stretches much better than others. Mostly better when everything is optomized i.e. rest, diet, moderate exercise, and low stress. Its frustrating for me and often people don't understand how you can feel and act somewhat normal and other times feel/act so debilitated.
      Chuck B

An inch is a cinch, a yard is hard

Comment

Thanks for bringing this subject up. The responses to your question answered it for me to! My symptoms come and go as well and I'm learning to take note of what's going on in my life. Thanks again.

Your fellow newbie at HCM.

Comment

Symptoms

I can totally relate. I have had times when I was having PVC's virtually all the time for weeks. Then I have had times when my heart was steady as a rock for weeks! Thankfully since getting my PCD implant, my SOB and angina have decreased by about 80%!
          Leon
          God Squad co-moderator
          Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

I'm glad this topic was brought up as well. Two years ago at 37yo, i had an echo and was told i didn't have HCM. Then at 39yo, i was told my septal meaurement had increased 50% and definitely had HCM. Is it actually possible that all this growth just happened in the last two years, or was the echo just incorrectly done two years ago?

Jim
            "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

unusual

Well, 50% thicker being what? If you were at 1.3 before and now you are at 1.8, then it might not have been a bad echo, but a bad call-- 1.2s and 1.3s being considered borderline by some and sometimes ignored or not seen or whatever.

Do you have both echo reports? Do you have the TAPE of the echo?

I don't think it is unheard of to jump that much in 2 years, but certainly not typical.

Need more info to really answer your question.

how are you feeling?

S

Comment

I defnitely have good days and bad days but I dont seem to have a run on good days. LOL And I have definitely become much more symptomatic. I am having alot of funny heart beats daily. But I think I will write about it in a separate topic.

Comment

Well i'm glad i'm not the only one on the roller coaster. Sara is there a guide on all these abrivations and some of those big words (catalist) that we use. Sometimes there over my head. Thank you to all who have replied.
                  \"When I\'m gone and people think of me... I want them to smile and laugh.\" Jason Caldwell

Comment

YOu have defined the largest problem with HCM! WE all have this issue to a degree..some more then others... I have lived this way since I was 12 years old. Somedays I can do ANYTHING, walk, run, stay up late and get up early with NO problem... then the OTHER days walking from room to room in my home is a problem FORGET a flight of stairs and I must sleep a great deal. I never know when it is going to hit although I do know that if I am very active for 3-5 days in a row...I will be down for 2-3 days so I try to balance my work load (and play load!) to every other day and I normally balance off just fine.

Why do I call this the largest problem with HCM.... When someone feels poorly for a few days...they make a dr's appointment...by the time they get to the dr they are feeling fine! So the doctor misses his chance to see you at your "worst". Therefore treatment is tailored to your good days not your bad days. That is why I tell people it can take up to 2 years to get a treatment program the is right for them... you have to go through a few cycles and work WITH your doctor to best treat the WHOLE you ...good days and bad.

It takes time, good communication and an understanding of your condition to get the best care...and it is worth the work!

Best to all...and wishing you many more good days than bad .
                    Lisa
                    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                    Currently not obstructed
                    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I also have phases where I have no PVCs, no Afib, just a normal sinus rhythm and I feel great. Then there are days where I may have 1 - 2 slight irregularities. Then there are days where I have PVCs pretty much constantly. Then I go back to great for days or weeks. Then sometimes I go right into Afib (5 times in the last year).

And I have never been able to find any common thread to link what I am doing/eating to when I have bad days.
                      .....Richard

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                      X