If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Way to go Illinois!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Robert Hartwell Find out more about Robert Hartwell
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way to go Illinois!

The Illinois legislature is today considering a bill that would mandate portable defibrulators in health clubs and public schools. It is expected to pass without issue. I believe it would be the first law of its kind in the nation.

Bob
    Cleveland Myectomy Crew
    Member since November 2002

\"Chance favors the prepared mind!\"

Way to go !!! I think that is great. Any ideas on how to start lobbying for that in Alabama. I think we need this everywhere!!! Take care and God bless~
    Good friends are good for your health.
    --Irwin Sarason

Comment

Woo Hoo!

(sorry, that's really all i had to say)
      "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Hismom is right. We need to get people working on this in EVERY state. What can we do???? We have a lot of people who I believe will work very hard to see some changes made if we all just knew the proper procedure for sunch things!!!!

SheliRenee
        Mom of Keanu
        4 years old (will be in March)
        Dx at 2 days old with Biventricular hypertrophy
        Dx at 6 weeks with HOCM
        Dx at 5 months with V-tach
        Dx at 3 with Noonan Syndrome

Comment

article on same

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/c...y/e01defib.htm

According to story, NY schools require them, but no mention of gyms in this piece. will look for more.

S

Comment

the law

http://www.early-defib.org/03_d_ems.html

and here is the actual bill:

http://www.legis.state.il.us/legisla...9300sb1467.htm

S

Comment

ooopss more law

Here is the gym law:

http://www.legis.state.il.us/legisla...00hb0043lv.htm

S

Comment

Woo Hoo is right!
                Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I actually think that once the first one is passed and implemented, other states will then take a harder look at it. I know that the health clubs that my wife and I belong to already have them. Funding may be a problem for schools. This could start the ball rolling in many states.

Bob
                  Cleveland Myectomy Crew
                  Member since November 2002

\"Chance favors the prepared mind!\"

Comment

Hey...that's MY site!

I hope you all have found the Illinois General Assembly web site to be easy to use and informative. That's the site that I helped design, develop and currently maintain! Needless to say, I'll be watching the live video tomorrow to see how the vote goes, but most everyone thinks it will pass the House easily.

Until next time...
                    Tom Mc.
                    Apical HCM

Comment

cool

Hey,

That is very cool! I liked the site. Thank god for the search function, though. The list of bills is a bit daunting!

Let us know how the vote goes!

S

Comment

Gym law (Illinois HB43) passes the House today!!

Creates the Physical Fitness Facility Medical Emergency Preparedness Act. Requires various physical fitness facilities, including (i) facilities owned or operated by a unit of local government or by a school, college, or university, (ii) golf courses, and (iii) health or fitness clubs, to develop and implement a plan for responding to medical emergencies and to file a copy of the plan with the Department of Public Health. Requires each such facility to have on its premises at least one automated external defibrillator (AED) and a trained AED user. Authorizes the Department of Public Health to inspect physical fitness facilities to investigate complaints and to ensure compliance with the Act. Authorizes the Department to impose monetary penalties for violations of the Act. Amends the Use Tax Act, the Service Use Tax Act, the Service Occupation Tax Act, and the Retailers' Occupation Tax Act to provide a tax exemption for private physical fitness facilities in connection with the purchase of AEDs.
                        This bill passed the House today easily.

Another bill in the Senate would mandate that every public school has at least one automated external defibrillator in the school building, located in a common area of the building. Status of the bill:
                        http://www.legis.state.il.us/legisla...D=3&LegID=4562

That bill is currently assigned to the Education committee.
                        http://www.legis.state.il.us/senate/...committeeID=57

Reporting live from Springfield, I'm Tommy Mac saying so long for now
                        Tom Mc.
                        Apical HCM

Comment

Tom, Thanks for the info! Linda

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                          X