If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mononucleosis and HCM

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Rainey I am happily married to a wonderful husband and have three beautiful children (18, 12 and 10). All my kids are involved in sports. My oldest plays Division II College lacrosse and soccer. All of my kids are screened yearly. I am still scared every day they play knowing how many young athletes die. I try to get the word out about knowing family history. Find out more about Rainey
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mononucleosis and HCM

I was diagnosed with HOCM 5.5 years ago. Since that time I have had an ICD implanted and my kids go for regular screenings (all currently HCM-free). My daughter has signed to play DII sports in college and is having "extras" done to satisfy us, the doctors and the coaches. She's had her regular screening done as well as a cardiac MRI and this morning a exercise stress test. All normal, thank God. However, the gal performing the test this morning mentioned that she played soccer at a DIII school and now she no longer does because she has "cardiomyopathy." She didn't call it HCM. I asked if there was a strong family history and she said that SHE is the only one. She said that hers is believed to be the result of her mono infection years prior. It got me thinking. I am adopted and yes, my birth father died of a massive heart attack (second heart attach) at 37, he had a long-undiagnosed strep infection when he was 27 and he was told THEN that he wouldn't live to see 40 because the infection completely destroyed one of his kidneys and damaged the other one. Other than him, there is no other family history and he himself was never diagnosed with HCM and had no autopsy (I know a LOT of family history from both sides). So, it got me thinking - I had a pretty severe case of mono when I was a teenager and was hospitalized with a full-body rash and swollen liver. I don't remember them saying anything about my heart then but is it possible that I have this and NOT the kind that is genetic that could be passed down to my kids? Is genetic testing the ONLY way to find out? I have NOT done the testing.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++
    *Adopted but know that birth Father died at 37 of what we now believe to be HCM.
    *Diagnosed with HOCM in 11/07. I also have the abnormal papillary muscle.
    *Gradient 100-185 when provoked.
    *Currently being treated with Atenolol, 50 mg. per day.
    *Three kids: 19, 13 and 11, all presently clear of HCM.
    *Patient of Dr. Sharlene Day, U of M.
    *ICD - August, 2010

Re: Mononucleosis and HCM

Hi Rainey,
    Great to hear from you!

Genetic testing COULD answer this question - but if (and only if) it successfully finds a mutation that you carry that's associated with HCM. If it doesn't (and that happens about 1/3 or so of the time), then it doesn't mean you don't have HCM with a genetic basis.

But more importantly, I think it's true that virally-induced cardiomyopathies typically are dilated (and not hypertrophic). In dilated cardiomyopathies, the heart muscle actually thins (so the chambers are larger, or dilated). They would have seen this on your echo. Can

Gordon
    Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Working...
    X