If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glucose/Glycohemoglobin test

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glucose/Glycohemoglobin test

can heart function affect these findings? I had received some lab work results a few weeks ago (from my previous primary care dr.) in the mail. The glucose test results was 123...I had noticed the results I had kept from 1999 was 79. I did not receive a call from his office about this. Maybe I should give my current dr. a call and ask
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

That is highly variable - drinking a soda or eating a slice of pizza can greatly change your suger levels - I do think that is within normal limits but ask your doctor.
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I'm going out on a limb here on this one. Help me to see if this makes any since. Just about everytime I end up in the hospital with one of my episodes of chest pain and shortness of breath I also have very low glucose readings. One in particular read 35 so the medics ended up giving me dextrose through the IV.

Anyhow back to my original hypothesis. In hypoglycemic episodes the body starts producing adrenaline to make up for the sugars lost in the body. As a side effect of the extra amounts of adrenaline it increases the fight or flight response. When this occurs the symptoms include: increased heartrate, palpatations, profuse prespirations, and dizziness just to name a few. Does anyone think there could be a correlation of the low blood sugar and my episodes

As I side note a couple of weeks ago I had a glucose tolerence test performed. I was supposed to get the results back on Wednesday but my doc had a family emergency. I stopped by the office to get the results. The nurse could not give me the results because she said "that it must be discussed with by the doctor". I was also able to reschedule the appointment just two days later which is virtually unheard of at this office. Normally it is about a two month wait. So I am really nervous about the findings of this test. I do hope all goes well because the last thing I need right now is another condition to battle with.

Thanks for listening,

Mary S.

Comment

I myself run low blood suger and do find more symptoms at these times. although the symptoms include flutters sometimes it is most often dizziness and lightheadedness and shaking...so I eat something and it goes away??
        I never put the 2 together...just figured I was "lucky" ha ha
        Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Hi there,

Our daughter was experiencing symptoms of lightheadedness, weak and shaky, visual changes. After tests to be certain it was a rhythm thing, we were told it was low blood suger. Our cardiologist told us pretty much what Mary said. When the sugar level in the body begins to drop, adrenaline kicks in to help bring up the levels, etc.

Our daughter is on Tenormin, 50mg daily, which blocks adrenaline. We were told to pay attention to the diet. Limit empty carbs while increasing protein. Thankfully, it has helped!

Comment

Hey... guess what first got me into the doctor's office....
            lightheaded, shaky, weak, vision changes, etc.
            And then they found the murmur and here we are today!
            I definitely feel worse if I'm hungry or thirsty.
            I keep a granola bar in my purse and give me a few minutes and
            I'm as good as new!

Comment

glucose

I've always had to eat something, or have some fruit juice every 3-4 hours. IMperative!

I think there is a lot to be said for this.

Lisa, aren't there some genetic mutations of HCM where the muscle is too thick b/c its full of glycogen deposits that don't belong there? Possible indications of an entire system with issues around glucose?

just thinking out loud...

S

Comment

Maybe we could do a pole on this? Seems like quite a few people are experiencing this with the HCM. Just a thought

I talked with my doc about this. She concurred. I was also diagnosed with hypoglycemia officially today. Yippee

Thanks for the imput!

Mary S.

Comment

there's a typo in my post.........i hate when i do that!! I really should proof my posts first!! lol

I mean't to say (which i think you understood) that after tests to make certain it WASN'T a rhythm thing we were told it was low sugar. The docs gave her a device and she stuck herself at the onset of symptoms which indicated a low sugar level.

She keeps lifesavers or crackers on her... just in case.

Comment

Okay, this is interesting.

I was diagnosed with hyperinsulinemia, which means that I have too much insulin in my bloodstream. This causes episodes of hypoglycemia, with all of the above mentioned symptoms. At the time, I was on mega-doses of Verapamil and Inderal. Since then, I have been weaned off of both medications and switched to a lower dose of Atenolol. I find that I have experienced far fewer "episodes" of low blood sugar than before, and feel better in general. I don't have any recent lab values to back me up on this, but found it interesting.

Maybe there's a correlation between the meds and these symptoms as well Just a thought.
                    HOCM, Septal Myectomy 10/02 (Mayo Clinic), Medtronic ICD 10/07, TIA 10/07

Comment

Quite interesting ! I was just reading one of my medical books and it does say that propranolol and other beta-blockers can cause hypoglycemic episodes. Maybe that is why there are alot of this with these symptoms. I wonder if it does it with calcium-channel blockers

Thought you'd be interested

mary S.

Comment

Very interesting!

Maybe one of our board MD's can answer that one for us.
                        HOCM, Septal Myectomy 10/02 (Mayo Clinic), Medtronic ICD 10/07, TIA 10/07

Comment

TooGoofy -

Did the medical book mention that the beta-blockers caused hypoglycemic episodes in only the people that already have hypoglycemia or can it cause these episodes to start occurring when the person is not hypoglycemic (and can it cause a person to become hypoglycemic)? My ignorance about both thing (beta-blockers and hypoglycemia) is shining through.....

Thanks,

SheliRenee
                          Mom of Keanu
                          4 years old (will be in March)
                          Dx at 2 days old with Biventricular hypertrophy
                          Dx at 6 weeks with HOCM
                          Dx at 5 months with V-tach
                          Dx at 3 with Noonan Syndrome

Comment

If my interpretation is correct I believe it is if you already have hypoglycemia. The book stated that excessive amounts could trigger episodes. I'll do more research and see if I can find any other details.

Mary S.

Comment

I'm not certain that you HAVE TO already have hypoglycemia, especially since our daughter never had a problem until she started taking tenormin.

I think the betablocker interferes with the bodys normal response to low sugar levels, but i'm not sure!?!?!?

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X