If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

colonoscopy

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

smccormick Find out more about smccormick
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sarah
    replied
    s'ok

I had a pretty good idea of what you meant, but could NOT pass up that opportunity. Plus, we are all about being clear and precise here!!!

Leave a comment:

• Midge Rollins
    replied
    I have an ICD and before my colonoscopy they came and turned it off and then back on right after. But I could drink broth, jello etc. It was an opportunity for me to drink hi sodium chicken broth. I figured with losing all that fluid I did not need to worry about excess sodium. Always try to find the good in this stuff. The test is not all that bad.

Leave a comment:

• smccormick
    replied
    I did not even think about the antibiotics! Thanks for reminding me! I think I will call Dr. Asher at Cleveland and have him give me some guidelines for this. I mean how much antibiotics? Intravenously or by mouth? I guess since my diagnosis I haven't had any testing or surgery (except dental) done and now I question how everything is going to affect me with this HOCM now. But better safe than sorry! Thanks guys!

Leave a comment:

• paix
    replied
    OH MY I couldn't be more red. I'm trying to talk about that Fleet phospho-soda yucky stuff. Sorry about the goof.
    Elizabeth

Leave a comment:

• SheliRenee
    replied
    Sarah -

Your response has just made my day. I will be laughing about it all day long Thank you for the uplift.

SheliRenee

Leave a comment:

• Sarah
    replied
    enema

Um, last time I checked, an enema goes up the opposite end as drinking something. Lemonade has got to be an irritant in that particular situation.

Leave a comment:

• paix
    replied
    Definitely get the antibiotics for the procedure. Drink more water than you can imagine, and I recommend mixing the soda with lemonade. The tartness of the lemonade helps mask the horrible taste of the soda. Otherwise, the anethesia they used on me was the same as the ICD implant. I was really sleepy and sedated but not really under. Hope this helps and good luck.

Elizabeth

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied
    TALK to the anesthisia team well before the procedure. ALSO make sure you are premedicated with antibiotics to avoid any problems with infection. I know many who have had this done with no problem. Just try to stay well hydrated when doing the "go-lightly" thing and enjoy the gallon of that lovely stuff!
    Lisa

Leave a comment:

• Art Geddes
    replied
    I had one done 3 months ago (nov). I was admitted to the hospital on Monday as i was passing blood in my stools. I was given a cat scan that night, not allowd anything, even water from 1PM monday untill after endoscope Wed. morning. I was on iv's to keep me hydrated and also on antibiotics as I have hocm/defib. The best part was when they started feeding me again Wed at noon. They had a tech in from the ep lab for my procedure also. The procedure wasn't bad but the situation around it was miserable. I will have another one next year but it is no worse than having my icd pust in and a lot better than a cath. Hope this helps.
    Art

Leave a comment:

• Sarah
    replied
    fasting doesn't mean don't drink

Hi,

Fasting doesn't mean don't drink water. It just means don't eat solid food. You can probably get away with broth, too. Take your medication and drink lots of fluids. You can probably have fruit juices, too. You may want to take a multi-vitamin to get some extra potassium and magnisium in there with all the water.

S

Leave a comment:

• smccormick
    started a topic colonoscopy

colonoscopy

After having my annual check up my doctor told me now that I am the ripe old age of 51 I need to have a colonoscopy done. He advises all his patients to have one at this age and then if no problems show up another in 5 - 10 yrs. I know they put you to sleep and I also know that you have some real tough fasting and cleaning out the day before. My question is if you have to fast and clean your system out what does this do to people with HOCM concerning the anestesia and such. Has anyone had this done? Any bad experiences afterwards or while you were under? I'm thinking number one rule is not to get dehydrated but wouldn't you be pretty much dehydrated by the time the procedure started?
Working...
X