If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Heart Catheterization Necessary with HCM?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lisa Salberg
    replied
    thats me Miss Tacky...oh I mean Miss Tactful

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied
    Lisa,

LOL. Now THAT was a tactful answer! Thanks for all your help.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied
    Dont get upset ...I just mean your not a "kid" you are an adult and adults can have other forms of heart disease.
    Please do not be scared...just be cautious and ask good questions.

Be well!
    Lisa

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied
    Lisa,

If the Cath is to rule out other forms of heart disease (based on your age and symptoms) this sounds reasonable to me
    Hey, what does that mean? LOL. I didn't think i was that old

Jim

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied
    Okay Folks,

You're beginning to scare me a little bit here with stories about wires breaking off inside you, heart attacks, etc

I was able to schedule an appointment with my cardiologist next friday, and we are going to review all the tests i've had thus far, and the reasons he wants me to have the cath. His nurse briefly told me on the phone that based on his notes, it looks like something showed up on the stress pictures that he wants to explore with the cath. She said it's not the enlarged septum or my screwy mitral valve, but that it was 'something', and she didn't feel comfortable talking about it with me. Well, good lord. Thanks a bunch Nurse Ratched. LOL. I'd rather she said nothing at all

I'll keep ya posted, and thanks for the posts, even if they did scare the crap out of me

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied
    I think Art was just useing the term "gold standard" not infering that it is a treatment.
    Lisa

Leave a comment:

• Sarah
    replied
    treatment/test

Dear Art,

Now I'm a little confused. Caths are not a treatment, they are simply a test. You can't compare it to a myectomy --not in the same category. There can certainly be a gold standard for tests as well as for treaments and I think Lisa was just saying that echos are the GS for diagnosing HCM.

Anyway, I'm glad you survived those nasty caths!

take care,

S

Leave a comment:

• Art Geddes
    replied
    hey Lisa,
    I know that, the only real "gold standard" would be how treatments measure up against a myectomy. I was zooming in from left field on that on. my apologies. My last cath was done to rule out an MI as my enzymes were off and ekg had changed.
    Art Geddes

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied
    pickapack -
    This is very rare - it sounds like you had a very poorly trained person or her was having one of the worst days of his career.
    Your story is rare - I am very sorry you had to endure it...but glad to hear from you here on the board..welcome!
    lisa

Leave a comment:

• Reenie
    replied
    I'm so sorry you had that happen to you! I'm glad you're all right now.

Leave a comment:

• pickaback
    replied
    I had more heart caths back in the '70s and early '80s than I can count. I know things have change significantly since then, but in the mid-70s, I had a heart cath that went very badly. I was a child and awake when a catheter broke off inside me. The doc did not have the nicest bedside manner and actually stopped the procedure to tell me to stop crying because I was making him nervous. A surgeon was flown in by helicopter to remove the catheter through two large incisions after hours of surgery. I realize this was a rare occurance, but it left me with horrible memories. Even the word catheter sends shivers up my spine. It may be extremely rare, but I wanted to point out that it has happened in the past.

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied
    Wow you guys have been busy here over the past day or so.
    Let me chime in a bit.
    Art - You stated the you believe "cath is the gold standard", YOu would be hard pressed to find a doctor that would agree with that statement. Echo is the gold standard in HCM. Todays echo machines are far better then those you had available in the 70's and early 80's.

I myself have had 2 caths - fun... heck no...horrible..heck no. Risky well yes a bit they are leading wires in your heart and that is a risk on its own.

The key here is "what are they looking for" - "why are we doing the test"
    Many of you have given personal stories and opinions BUT we are all a little different...and a cath may well be needed for some of us. If the Cath is strictly to diagnose the HCM - I would not be comfortable with that and I would seek a 2nd opinion. If the Cath is to rule out other forms of heart disease (based on your age and symptoms) this sounds reasonable to me.

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT EPS. We have been over that in other strings...

You are your best advocate...ASK questions!

Lisa

Leave a comment:

• Tommy Mac
    replied
    For Sarah..

It sounds like you are referring to a regular cath and not an EPS, right? Just want to be clear.
    Sarah-
    Yeah, it was a normal cath.

Leave a comment:

• Linda
    replied
    Jim, That certainly sounds like the right approach to me. I won't be at all surprised if you find out that your doctor was unaware of the messages you were given and info you were not given. That's no excuse, but sometimes things just don't happen the way they were planned. As you can see from all the messages on the board, there is so much info to be gained from a cath, but it is still an invasive procedure and needs careful explanations by someone who knows what they are talking about. Linda

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied
    Thanks Art,

I appreciate your input, and i also realize that a catheterization may in fact be something that i need. Although i have to admit the procedure doesn't sound like very much fun at all, i am not opposed to it as long as my doctor takes the time to explain... a) what he hopes to gain from the procedure... b) what my previous tests revealed that has led him to believe this is necessary... c) explains the procedure itself to me... and d) explains the risks that may be involved to some already overworked organs of mine

I'm just playing it safe, and more than anything, i want to review what we've done already before i go any further.

Thanks again for everyone's help! Please continue to provide input when you feel the urge to

Jim

Leave a comment:

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X