If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

beta blockers

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beta blockers

just thought I'd ask....
    is it better to take these at a certain time of day? a.m. or p.m.? I used to take it in the morning and then my dr. (about 4-5yrs. ago) said since I was complaining of fatigue to take it at night before I go to bed.
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

what works for you

Cyn,

Night time was recommended since it makes you sleepy, so why not take it before bed? B/c it is a 24 hour dose, it makes no never mind to the time you take it, as long as you always take it at the same time (or close to).

Bedtime is also easier since you are usually at home (right? *wink*).

S

Comment

thanks, Sarah. Didn't think it made a difference, but thought I'd get an opinion. I'm thinking that possibly I'll need a little more or an additional med after seeing Dr. Udelson next week. I'm getting more nervous as it gets closer. I think I'm dwelling too much again....that's what my husband calls me, "The Dweller" ! take care and thanks again

\"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I take half my dose in the morning and the rest at night...
        Too much in the morning and I can not function - -mid-day I fall asleep...half and half..life is good!
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I agree with Lisa. I take half in the morning and half at night. I have noticed a difference in energy levels over the single dosage.
          Bob
          Cleveland Myectomy Crew
          Member since November 2002

\"Chance favors the prepared mind!\"

Comment

So, Lisa and Bob both notice an improvement in energy level with splitting the dose. Have either of you been bothered by palpitations, and if so, did splitting the dose have any effect on that? (Better or worse?) Linda

Comment

Linda,

I sometimes experience "skipped" beats or PVC's as they are called and they usually occur when I am dehydrated. I have not seen any change in this due to splitting the dose of medication. I have found that if I go out at night and forget to take my evening dose first, I have to keep tabs on my heart rate.

Bob
              Cleveland Myectomy Crew

Comment

Toprol XL

I take 100mg of Toprol XL every day at approximately 11 am. I don't notice much effect on my energy levels, but then again I always seems to be at "mach 100" level during the day in a chaotic work environment. Guess I'm so busy I don't notice. But at 8pm when I'm laying in bed with my daughter reading stories.... zzzzzZZZZZzzz.

I might look into splitting the dose, although that's just one more thing to remember!

G'nite all!
                Tom Mc.
                Apical HCM

Comment

One cardiologist said to take the Beta-Blocker @ 10.00 PM as it may cause drowsiness and as it would peak in the bloodstream in the early AM when blood pressure is the highest.

Another Professor of Medicine & Pharmacology and head of the Hypertension Unit - Clinical Pharmacology @ a major university hospital said that it didn't really matter as long as it was the same time every day, as blood pressure peaks @ different times for different people and the Beta-Blocker was constant in the bloodstream.

You can take your pick of the above statements.

Comment

doctors

ha ha. Yeah, well, we ALL know beta-blockers make you tired, and I know when mine wears off! So I'm going with what I know (ps I also take 1/2 in the am and 1/2 at night --1/2 being "1/2 of my daily dose of 40mg".

S

Comment

Beta Blockers

I have been taking metroprolol for over 4 years. I am currently taking 450mgs a day- 150mgs 3x's a day. Is this an unusual high dosage?Since I have been on this dosage my gradient has reduced and my heart murmur is less. I usually don't get dizzy walking stairs anymore. Should I be questioning my Cardiologist about my medicine when it seems to be working for me?Thanks
                      Chris

Comment

dosing

Dear Chris,

Everyone is different, everyone's HCM is different, and everyone's reaction to medication is different.

I weigh 110 lbs and I'm very, very senstitive to medication, and I'm in afib anyway, so I just take the bbs to slow my heart rate from 100 to 70/80 and keep the contractions softer.

So my dose wouldn't be anything like yours. Go with what works!!!

S

Comment

Chris,

As Sarah said, go with what works. If the higher dosage makes you feel better that's great. Prior to my myectomy, I was taking about 320 mg of Nadolol per day. One benefit of the surgery, is I am down to 100 mg of Metropolol per day. I think the reduction in medication has also helped to boost my energy levels.

Bob
                          Cleveland Myectomy Crew

Comment

TALK TO YOUR doctors before splitting doses!!!!!!!! IT may not be right for some...
                            BE CAREFUL WITH THOSE MEDS!
                            Lisa
                            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                            Currently not obstructed
                            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Yes, some pills can't be broken, it changes release/absorption time of some. Linda

Comment

Working...
                              X