If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my son had an echo recently....

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my son had an echo recently....

My 8 yr. old son had an echo done in August. No signs of HCM. His pediatrician decided to take one after I had told him that I have HCM>
    He was o.k.....but as we all know, it could show up in the future. Do you think he should have an echo done once a year or wait until he is older?
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

every year

Dear Cynthia,

Whenever a parent has confirmed HCM, most doctors recommend that you get an echo for each child every year till 20, then every 2 years, then every 5 to 10 years after that. The odds are that your child would show HCM in the early teens ---if they were going to get it. However, there have been a few cases of late onset, so better safe than sorry.

Kids grow quickly, especially boys, so every year till 20 is your best bet.

Take care,

S

Comment

Hi Sarah -

Does this hold true of siblings with HOCM? Keanu's two sisters are showing no signs so far. They both had echols in August of 2001 and were cleared.

Thanks,
      Mom of Keanu
      4 years old (will be in March)
      Dx at 2 days old with Biventricular hypertrophy
      Dx at 6 weeks with HOCM
      Dx at 5 months with V-tach
      Dx at 3 with Noonan Syndrome

Comment

anybody

Hi,

Anyone who has one parent (or more) with HCM/HOCM should get an echo every year, regardless of the echo results.

S

Comment

It's me again.... Sorry to bug... I understand children of parents with HCM should be checked, but neither myself nor my husband have it. My son is the first that we know of to have this. That's why I was unsure about how frequent the siblings should be echoed. Thanks for the clarification.
          Mom of Keanu
          Dx at 6 weeks with HOCM

Comment

SheliRenee,

I would ask the doctor about that. I would think that it's the same guidelines, assuming that the HCM is the routine genetic type. There are syndromes that can have HCM as a "side effect", although I'm not sure that's the right way to word it. Lisa or some others can fill you in more on that. Anyway, if he doesn't have any of the other syndromes, I would think that the girls should be tested every two years until about 10 years old, then yearly through teens, I think. But always confirm this with the doc. By the way, how did his holter go?

Reenie
            Reenie

Husband has HCM.
            3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Hi Reenie -

I really hate having to put Keanu on the holter. It's very difficult to keep a 23-month old from pulling the leads off. It was much easier as a newborn. Anyway, he was in his room for about 20 minutes by himself, playing with his toys and watching/listening to a Blue's Clues video. When he walked out into the family room I noticed that all the wires that I had threaded through his clothes, trying to keep them out of his way, were no longer visible. He got every last lead off. I ended up taking him back up the the Heart Institute in Loma Linda and the nurse put a whole new unit on. We had to start the whole 24 hours all over again. The nurse taped those leads on with quite a bit of tape. He never got them off, but I don't know how hard he tried. He is scheduled for his echo on the 4th of March at 8:00a.m. As soon as it is completed, we get to go visit with the doctor and he'll go over the holter and echo findings at that time. So, to make a long story short (too late - ha ha), I don't know yet. Hopefully we get a good report. I'm actually a bit anxious.
              Mom of Keanu
              Dx at 6 weeks with HOCM

Comment

I'll be thinking of you guys. Good luck with keeping him still for the echo. By the way, in my post above, I said they should be screened yearly through the teens. I should've continued to say what Sarah said, about being screened throughout their lives since some people do show HCM as an adult. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Reenie
                Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Curious

There aren't too many people in your situation. I'm not sure if there are any specific guidelines.

However, if it were me, I would probably get the girls checked every _few_ years (3ish?) and get myself and my husband echos every 3-5 years, too.

Take care,

S

Comment

My concern is ....

I know that some types of HCM don't show up until later in life, but is there anything on the opposite? Where HCM shows up early in life (not metablic)? Like a lot of parents that have one child diagnosed at an early age (18 months), I wonder how often our other children should be checked. I just wondered if there was any info out there on children diagnosed young and what age siblings were diagnosed.

Of course I'm hoping my daughter's echo always show up clear, but I still have the worry in the back of my mind as to how often she should be checked. Does it matter that a silbing was diagnosed young when considering futher checks?

It's definately complicated and confusing when you have a little one diagnosed.

Amy N.

Comment

Hi Reenie -

Fortunately, I will not have to worry about keeping Keanu still for the echo. Because he has been getting the Synagis injections each month, he freaks out as soon as he sees the hospital or medical building....especially when we get to the exam room. This is on top of him being so young and unable to keep still. Consequently the doctor always orders sedated echos. I am so grateful for that... otherwise I don't know how we'd get his echos done.

SheliRenee
                      Mom of Keanu
                      Dx at 6 weeks with HOCM

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                      X