If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight loss as Treatment for HCM

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

liona Find out more about liona
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight loss as Treatment for HCM

I've been thinking about what I can do to help myself, and frankly, it seems to me that if my heart's chambers are getting rather small, one of the best ways to plug the dike would be to lose 30 pounds.

This won't be easy for me, but I feel sufficiently motivated to do it. What seems strange is that I have not seen this recommended anywhere in any literature or web page. It stands to reason that reducing your poundage would assist your overworked heart---or is this not true????

I have already cut back on all starches dramatically. Right now I am eating mostly eggs, fish and chicken and veggies, which works fairly well for me. I am considering that possibly I should attempt to lose a little faster, since it might ease my heart's burden, but I don't know. I am thinking of working with my friendly local hypnothist to reduce my appetite.

You Folks have any comments????

Liona,
    I just got back from the Cleveland Clinic. And I was told I have A few things wrong with me. And all of them added together is one big problem.And being 100pds "in my case" overweight is one of the problems that I can work on myself. I plan on going to weightwatchers because I do know that if you lose weight to fast is bad also. They say 2pds A week is the best. And also you need good balance in your diet.If you go by the food pyramid you will get the right balance.you need to know how much calories your body needs everyday just to survive.It is also A good idea to eat about 6 small meals A day it keeps the fire burning more effeiciently. A good way to determine how much calories A woman needs in a day take your weight times 10.And thats how much your body needs.Anything more than that and you gain anything less and you lose.Anyway to keep it simple and for the support I'm going to go to weightwatchers. I myself would never go to A hypnotist. I don't trust them. And it sounds like a quick fix.Education is the key.
    Bobby Raines

Comment

a few tips..this from someone who has had to "watch it" all my life...
      small meals are best... think before you eat - nothing fried, too fatty or too heavy... Move as much as you can...walk, flex or do what ever YOU can.
      Also Yoga, Tia Chi and similar programs are helpful.
      Do not expect changes over night...
      weight yourself every morning - not only can you monitor for heart failure..it will not let you get out of control should you have a "bad" day eating wise.
      slow and steady win the race...
      NO over the counter stimulants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO Ephedra
      Good luck,
      Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Hello, I allways feel better when I lose some weight. I need to do the same. I'm thinking about going back to LA. weight loss. It worked great for me, very exspensive though. Good luck.
        \"When I\'m gone and people think of me... I want them to smile and laugh.\" Jason Caldwell

Comment

Well, Bobby, I consider 2 pounds a week a fast weight loss, but I don't have 100 pounds to lose!

Hypnotherapy can be a wonderful assist for problems such as this, if you have a positive working relationship with the professional------ I consulted with one to help me emotionally handle the problems of my Dad's very lengthy and painful dying process, and he was a great help to me.

Comment

Bobbie, I am doing weight watchers. I lost 10 pounds this month. It is rathera slow process but I believe better for you. WW teaches or trains you how to eat, portion control, how much more food you can have if you eat low fat etc. There is also weight watchers on the web. I don't go to meetings. I just go to the forum, similar to this one, if I have a problem. Lots of support there. If you want someone to chat with while working the program, I would be happy to be your weight loss buddy. I have lost 23 pounds so far on WW but I don't feel any better yet. drats.

Comment

Weight loss

Hi Guys........I too am a HCMer with a weight problem. I gained 80 lbs in the last 2 years. Mainly from inactivity due to the symptoms of HCM and all I did was sit and eat and wish my problems would go away(depression). And partly from I just love to eat. I was completely out of control. I have always been slightly overweight. None of the cardiologist I have ever been to said for me to get the weight off. They would slightly mention my weght then move on.
              Dr. Neilsen, who did my Ablation encouraged me to get on a healthy eating plan and explained that while the weight did not in any way cause HCM, it certainly was not doining my already "overworked" heart any good. That was somthing I already knew. So after my Ablation I have gotten on a healthy eating plan and walk each day aprox. 20 to 30 mins, as per my comfort level, no speed walking, just a nice pace. So far, in 6 weeks, I have lost 14 lbs. Connie
              The BEST is yet to come !!

Comment

Just wanted to drop my 2 cents worth off here. Lisa is absolutely 100% correct about NO EPHEDRA!!!! While my son is the one with HCM I too have dieted in the past to loose weight becuase of the risk of heart disease that runs in my family. Using a product containing ephedra I was able to loose 170+ lbs. in a little less then a year. This combined with other areas of my life ended up having the exact result I didn't want and at 25 I had a heart attack due to all the stress I had put my body under. So please, especially with an already known heart condition be extra careful when dieting. Take care all~
                Good friends are good for your health.
                --Irwin Sarason

Comment

Originally posted by hismom
                  Just wanted to drop my 2 cents worth off here. Lisa is absolutely 100% correct about NO EPHEDRA!!!! While my son is the one with HCM I too have dieted in the past to loose weight becuase of the risk of heart disease that runs in my family. Using a product containing ephedra I was able to loose 170+ lbs. in a little less then a year. This combined with other areas of my life ended up having the exact result I didn't want and at 25 I had a heart attack due to all the stress I had put my body under. So please, especially with an already known heart condition be extra careful when dieting. Take care all~
                  What a dramatic statement! I hope others heed your advice... Are you all right now?

Reenie
                  Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                  3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Just wanted to make a comment on weight loss as I am currently doing this.

As an engineer and scientist, I have taken a hard look at various diets and ways of eating. The one that has worked for me in mitigating symptoms prior to myectomy and has helped me lose weight after surgery (now with exercise!) has been the Zone Diet. This program has a scientific basis for regulating hormones and blood sugar.

Be careful of the food pyramid! The bottom two levels are all carbohydrates and your total calories based on the pyramid is 60-80% carbos. I always had worse HCM symptoms when I OD'd on Carbos.

One last word, the best diet is the one that works for you. You don't have to follow them strictly to the letter, just maintain the spirit of the plan. Modify them so that you are happy and not hungry. This will help you make the longterm lifestyle change.

Down 20 and still going (hopefully )

Bob
                    Cleveland Myectomy Crew
                    Member since November 2002

\"Chance favors the prepared mind!\"

Comment

I am following the Weight Watchers program. I have lost 30# so far (since October). I still have many more to go (100+) but I havn't been this "small" in five or six years I attend the weekly meetings instead of on-line because I need the moral support and interaction. I also only weigh once a week because I have a tendancy to obsess about weight/eating.

As far as weight and HCM, I would have HCM whether I weighed 90# or 900#, but I'm sure that the excess weight is an added burden to an already overworked heart. I'm not really sure if my weight loss has affected my health heart-wise, but I do feel a little better physically and a LOT more confident.

Hope everyone is successful

P.S. Hey, Lisa, maybe this would make a good poll :P
                      HOCM, Septal Myectomy 10/02 (Mayo Clinic), Medtronic ICD 10/07, TIA 10/07

Comment

Congrats Dolly!!!!!

That is quite an acheivement. Keep it going. I am becomming a believer that being a proper weight and maintaining it is just as important as maintaining cholestrol and blood sugar. Our health is just too important to treat lightly.

Bob
                        Cleveland Myectomy Crew

Comment

Bless everyone who shared their personal fight to deal with their weight issues. You honesty have given me great comfort and hope. I am also 100 and some lbs over weight.

Last summer I was working out daily and leading a very busy lifestyle and losing weight. Then all of the sudden out of no-where I wound up in ER with a fast paced heart and on the verge of leaving my body. A couple of weeks prior, I had just received a stress echo test and gotten the results and told I'd be fine. And that continuing my weight loss and taking my new medications I could lead a busy life style. Never happened. The next thing I know I'm struggling just to get dressed and shower. And so they set me up for the heart cathater. I had some serious problems going on including a high pulmonary presssure on the right side of my heart and that my mitral valve was leaking and being pulled out of whack and was a 3+ and that the reason for this was the thickness of the muscle in the central wall of my heart.

This was all at the end of August, begining of Sept. While I was trying to get over what had just happened and ready for re-entry into my life my PCP called with my Hepatis C viral load which directly effects my immune system and it was very high. At that point it wasn't to long before bugs came to my home for a nice long stay. By the end of September I was very sick, and the following months repeated Oct., Nov., Dec., Jan. with serious flu's and colds that take me way down and wreak havoc on my asthma.

The reason I shared all of the above is that I want to get better and get more active but I am terribly afraid. And even more so I have been dealing with deep depression. YOU must know that each day I take time to appriciate the prince charming who lives with me and the wonderful family and beautiful things that are all around me. Just reading these messages has cheared me up and given me hope again to keep on trying and keep on, keepin on.! Thanks for letting me share.
                          Diana

Comment

Hello.........

Wow Diana...you have really been through it havent you? Its bad enough to have to deal with HCM and other health problems...but then to have to deal with a weight problem too......I know exactly what you are going thru, well I dont have anything but HCM(which is enough), but I do have the weght problem, and I am taking it one day at a time.
                            My HCM symptoms got so severe the past 2 years and i was so inactive and unmotivated I put on 80 lbs. The only comfort I got was from food. It was the only thing I could do. But I had my Alcohol Ablation in January 2003 and it really has give me back my life and my will to get this body healthy. I still have days of depression, but they are few, and it totaly helps coming here for encouragement. Good luck.connie
                            The BEST is yet to come !!

Comment

Connie,

Keep it going. Losing weight will make you feel better and improve your outlook on life. Soon I am going to have to buy smaller clothes!

Bob
                              Cleveland Myectomy Crew

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X