If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bmp?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Greg Find out more about Greg
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bmp?

Lisa -

I went over to frigid Minneapolis Jan. 22 (-2 with a breeze) and met with Doc. B. Maron. I appreciate your advice to do so -

I was just speaking with Sue Casey and she said that Dr. M wanted me to have another blood test since the one they took there had a "high BMP". I didn't know what to say or ask at that moment and said no problem.
    Can you direct me to where I can find info on BMP or tell me what BMP is and what they use it to determine?

thanks a ton

greg

call

Dear Greg,

Lisa is on a radio tour. I could call Sue back and ask her.

S

Comment

sounds like a plan

thanks for the heads up

g

Comment

Greg, This is from the American Association for Clinical Chemistry...

The Basic Metabolic Panel (BMP) is a group of 8 tests that is ordered as a screening tool to check for conditions, such as diabetes and kidney disease. The BMP uses a tube of blood collected by inserting a needle into a vein in your arm. Fasting for 10 to 12 hours prior to the blood draw may be preferred.

The BMP is often ordered in the hospital emergency room setting because its components give your doctor important information about the current status of your kidneys, electrolyte and acid/base balance, and blood sugar level. Significant changes in these test results can indicate acute problems, such as kidney failure, insulin shock or diabetic coma, respiratory distress, or heart rhythm changes.

The BMP is also used to monitor some known conditions, such as hypertension and hypokalemia (low potassium level). If your doctor is interested in following two or more individual BMP components, s/he may order the entire BMP because it offers more information. Alternatively, s/he may order an electrolyte panel to monitor your sodium, potassium, chloride, and CO2. If your doctor wants even more information, s/he may order a complete metabolic panel.

The basic metabolic panel includes:

Glucose
        Calcium
        Electrolytes

Sodium
        Potassium
        CO2 (carbon dioxide, bicarbonate)
        Chloride
        Kidney Tests

BUN (blood urea nitrogen)
        Creatinine

Comment

Greg, call Sue back and ask for clarification. mjesaitis has given you the correct info on the BMP, but when you say Sue told you of the need to check a high BMP, it makes me question if it might be a BNP. This would be a single test rather than a panel of different tests and is an evaluation of left ventricular function. The levels increase in response to a higher pressure. That's a very brief explanation till you determine for sure which test she is referring to. Hope this helps and doesn't confuse things more. Linda

Comment

I do believe you are talking about BNP -
            Dr. Maron is looking at this blood test as it relates to those with HCM. I do think they are looking for more of those with HCM and significant symptoms to take part in this study - it is a blood test that you can do at you home doctors office or hospital in most cases.

The meaning of the numbers in those with HCM is unknown. This bllod test measures the amount of heart failure - all of us with HCM will have raised numbers as HCM is heart failure.

THe Cleveland Clinic Page says this about the BNP:

B-type Natriuretic Peptide (BNP) blood test

BNP is a substance secreted from the ventricles or lower chambers of the heart in response to changes in pressure that occur when heart failure develops and worsens. The level of BNP in the blood increases when heart failure symptoms worsen, and decreases when the heart failure condition is stable. The BNP level in a person with heart failure - even someone whose condition is stable - is higher than in a person with normal heart function.

Preparation

To test the BNP level, a small amount of blood is taken and placed in a machine that detects the level of BNP in your blood. The test takes about 15 minutes. The BNP level helps to determine if you have heart failure, rather than another condition that may cause similar symptoms. In addition, BNP help the physician make decisions about hospitalizations, agressive treatments, and future prognosis.

Results

BNP levels below 100 pg/mL indicate no heart failure
            BNP levels of 100-300 suggest heart failure is present
            BNP levels above 300 pg/mL indicate mild heart failure
            BNP levels above 600 pg/mL indicate moderate heart failure.
            BNP levels above 900 pg/mL indicate severe heart failure.
            BNP Research

In a recent study reported in the January issue of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology*, BNP accurately detected heart failure 83% of the time and reduced clinical indecision from 43% to 11%.

The study evaluated 321 patients presenting to the emergency department with acute dyspnea (shortness of breath). Patients had the BNP blood test and were also examined by physicians. Physicians were blinded to BNP levels and asked to give their probability of the patient having CHF and their final diagnosis. In addition, two physicians reviewing the patients symptoms, baseline characteristics, and clinical history were also asked to provide their level of clinical certainty in giving or ruling out a diagnosis of CHF.

The study showed that the BNP blood test provided an accurate diagnosis 81.1% of the time (sensitivity of 90%, and specificity of 74% at a cutoff of >100 pg/mL). In contrast, clinical judgment alone, yielded an accurate diagnosis 74% of the time. The BNP test also reduced uncertainty regarding the diagnosis from 43% to 11%. Average BNP levels also correlated well with New York Heart Association functional class levels and was able to distinguish heart failure symptoms from those of pulmonary causes of shortness of breath.

The authors conclude that the BNP test is a quick, inexpensive test which enhances current diagnostic assessment tools, and enables doctors to make the correct diagnosis of heart failure. Future research is evaluating the use of BNP to determine prognosis and decisions regarding treatment.
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X