If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Echo report

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Eileen2345 Find out more about Eileen2345
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Echo report

Hi Everyone,

Quick review: I'm 48 years old. I do not smoke (I used to smoke on and off when I was 25 yrs old, but quit.) I do not drink.
    It's been 7 yrs since my myectomy at CCF. (Very grateful for those years!)

Had my echo done on August 7 (a couple weeks ago).

Not the best news I've heard. I'm a little surprised that I have sclerosis in my aortic valve, I do not have high cholesterol. I've never had high cholesterol.
    The Grade 2 diastolic dysfunction I understand. I'm wiped out every day.

Summary:

- Grade 2 left ventricular diastolic dysfunction

- Left ventricular hypertrophy

- Left atrial enlargement

- Aortic valve sclerosis

- Mildly thickened mitral leaflets and annular calcification with minor regurgitation

- Estimated pulmonary artery systolic pressure is 25-30mmHG

Any comments or information is appreciated. Thanks!
    49 yrs. old
    Diagnosed at 31.
    Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
    First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
    Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
    Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
    My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
    2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Re: Echo report

I think that most HCMers have diastolic dysfunction to some degree, even after myectomy. That means that the heart can't fill properly because it can't relax enough due to the thickness. Mine is about the same.

I am not sure what to say about the aortic valve. That is a new one on me.
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Much of this sounds like things you should expect. I don't know much about aortic valve sclerosis, but my impression is that by itself it may not be of great concern; the problems mainly come if you actually have stenosis, or narrowing of the aortic valve - that can cause obstruction. I don't think sclerosis in the valves has anything to do with cholesterol - more to do with calcium deposits.

What did they say about your pulmonary pressure? I ask because my impression is (1) that echos aren't the most reliable way to measure these pressures - right-sided heart caths are, and (2) I think the pressure you report is just on the borderline of what might be considered to be a problem. When will they next do an echo?

Gordon
      Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Hi Cynthia and Gordon,

I had the office mail me a copy of the echo report.

I haven't seen the cardiologist yet. I see him October 3, maybe I'll know more then.

I read that valve sclerosis leads to valve stenosis. Oh well, I'll keep praying about it. One thing is for sure, I won't have open-heart to replace any valves.
        When the Lord takes me home, He takes me home.

Thanks again.
        49 yrs. old
        Diagnosed at 31.
        First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
        Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
        Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.

Comment

Hi Eileen,
          OK, but I suspect you're some way from having to worry about that. And I do know that there are now catheter-based procedures to replace aortic valves -- but hopefully you're not going to need to worry about that for a long time, if ever.

Gordon
          Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Eileen, Sorry to hear this, but, like others, not clear on what it all means. I'm sure your visit on 10/3 will bring clarity. One thing I do question is change - How much of this is different from the last time? When was the echo?
            Marc
            Diagnosed @ 48
            Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
            Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
            AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
            After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
            Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen2345 View Post
              When the Lord takes me home, He takes me home.
              You aren't going anywhere just yet.

A few years back I got a 'bad' echo report at my local hospital from a technician who had never seen HCM before and the on-call cardiologist who read the results was obviously inexperienced as well. The comments section said, in capital letters: SEVERE LEFT VENTRICULAR HYPERTROPHY and DECLINING EJECTION FRACTION! My first thought of course was that OMG I'm getting worse and I'm going to die! Nobody had ever used the word 'severe' prior to this.

Turns out that she mistook my LVIS of 3.3 cm as my IVS measurement and thought that my septum had suddenly grown to over twice it's original size. In actuality my septum was only 1.4 cm and had actually decreased in size... and my ejection fraction, although low, was actually a great improvement over my prior echo. In other words, this 'bad' echo report was actually a very good one.

In the words of my favorite author: Don't Panic!

One echocardiogram in isolation does not a prognosis make.

Jim
              "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Thank you Jim, and everyone else for the encouraging words.

While I was searching 'Grade 2 Left Ventricular Diastolic Dysfunction' , I saw this website and thought it explained it pretty well. (Let me know if it is incorrect.)

From the Article:

"There are four basic Echocardiographic patterns of diastolic heart failure, graded I to IV. The mildest form is called an abnormal relaxation pattern or grade I diastolic dysfunction. On the mitral inflow Doppler echocardiogram, there is reversal of the normal E/A ratio. This pattern may develop normally with age in some patients and many grade I patients will not have any clinical signs or symptoms of heart failure.

Grade II diastolic dysfunction is called pseudonormal filling dynamics. This is considered moderate diastolic dysfunction and is associated with elevated left atrial filling pressures. These patients more commonly have symptoms of heart failure and many have left atrial enlargement due to the elevated pressures in the left heart.

Grade III and IV diastolic dysfunction are called restrictive filling dynamics. These are both severe forms of diastolic dysfunction and patients tend to have advanced heart failure symptoms. Class III diastolic dysfunction patients will demonstrate reversal of their diastolic abnormalities on echocardiogram when they perform the Valsalva maneuver and are called reversible restrictive diastolic dysfunction.

Class IV diastolic dysfunction patients will not demonstrate reversibility of their echocardiogram abnormalities and are therefore called fixed restrictive diastolic dysfunction. The presence of either class III and IV diastolic dysfunction is associated with a significantly worse prognosis. These patients will have left atrial enlargement and many will have a reduced left ventricular ejection fraction indicating a combination of systolic and diastolic dysfunction."

Website source:

http://www.news-medical.net/health/D...Diagnosis.aspx
                49 yrs. old
                Diagnosed at 31.

Comment

I think that is pretty accurate. As I told you before, it is not an unusual finding with HCM. I have the same.
                  Daughter of Father with HCM
                  Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                  Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                  ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                  Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

The operation involves going for a healthy blood vessel from another area of the boding using it to bypass the obstructed blood vessels. Another open-heart procedure involves replacing a faulty aortic valve.

Comment

Originally posted by AveryM View Post
                      The operation involves going for a healthy blood vessel from another area of the boding using it to bypass the obstructed blood vessels. Another open-heart procedure involves replacing a faulty aortic valve.
                      Hello, this message board is not very active anymore. I would encourage you to contact the office with any questions 973-983-7429 or visit our Facebook community First like the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association Page then you will see the private groups. Many of the moderators from this board and some new ones are there to assist you.

Lisa
                      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                      Currently not obstructed
                      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                      X