If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got kicked in the teeth... but I'm still smiling :)

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Richard Nelsen Find out more about Richard Nelsen
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got kicked in the teeth... but I'm still smiling :)

Heres one to test your metal.... I have had HCM (diagnosed) since about 1990, but have shown symptoms from about 1977. I had a pacemaker installed in 1995 and my neck fused from a herniated disc in 1997. I have been slowing all the while with the HCM with the thought of which way should I go for treatment... alcohol or myectomy. Sitting on the fence is very easy, its the jumping off part thats difficult. So it has been for the past few years feeling secure where I am now but wanting to feel better and unsure of which way to go. Lately I have been feeling more effects of the HCM (more naps, tired all the time and passing out a few times)and went to my cardioligist and told him that I have finally reached the point that I want to fix my problem (he has been waiting on me). So I started to get all my ducks in a row and went to see my G.P. to advise him of my plans to go to the Mayo but also to tell him that I noticed a little blood in my urine a couple days before... Long story short I just found out friday that I now have bladder cancer that I have to deal with before I can even think about my trip to the Mayo. I'm not writing about this as a downer please don't get me wrong, my point is when your down about your situation what ever it is look around there is many people whom have it much worse and stay the fight. I look at this as just another step to my recovery, another test of my metal.
    \"A Misty Morning Does Not Signify A Cloudy Day\'

Richard,

I will be thinking of you. Maybe the cancer is also partly to blame with you being so tired all the time. Please keep us posted on your condition.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

ouch

Dear Richard,

THat really is a "low" blow. But your attitude is in the right place. Know that we are all pulling for you and be sure to keep us posted on your progress.

take care,

S

Comment

When things "like this" happen I often say...OK I WANT MY GRADE! because someone is obviously TESTING ME!
        Good news is Bladder cancer is treatable and cureable. My grandmother had it and did well with it for a long long time. She did not seek prompt care and still did OK - had she had prompt care it would have been more then OK it would have been great.
        You appear to have caught it early - so lets handle that one then off to the ticker.
        Remember attitude it 90%....keep it possitive!
        We are here for you!!
        Be well,
        Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Thank you all for the kind words, coming from you all it does mean a little more because it seems you may understand just alittle more. Reenie: I wish I could say the tired part was maybe part of the cancer thing but I'm sure its the HCM but I'm gonna take care of that soon as I finish this cancer thing! Sarah, thank you for your support its so nice to know that people whom you have never met have this connection. Lisa, I know what you mean about getting a grade what I want to know is when do I get to graduate? Yes I have been reading about how treatable this bladder cancer is and soon after the operation I should know what type I have, do you see my fingers are crossed? Attitude whos got an attitude? ME thats who and its all positive, now I'd be lying if I wasn't a little pissed and sure I've kicked the dirt and I might have even said DARN and probably will say worse before its all said and done. But I AM TRYING! Bless you all in your own struggle and if I can help I will do my best. Thanks Rick

Comment

Rick, Hang in there, we're all pulling for you. It sounds like you have a great relationship/communication with your doctor and he seems on top of things. That's a bonus. Keep us up to date. Linda

Comment

Richard,

Hang in there bud. Sounds like you have the right attitude

Jim
              "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Linda and Jim, it does warm my heart to read your supportive kind words for that I thank you! I hope your situation is well. Rick

Comment

You may find this hard to believe?

Hi again! This is an update... Who ever said bad things come in threes? Get this I was getting ready for my cancer operation which is March 18th, so anyways... I go to my pacemaker Doc. last week to check on the battery which I knew were getting low( I have a dual chamber pacemaker) and they start the testing and guess what? While I'm there it shuts down to emergency mode (single chamber) as the battery is too low to support the dual chamber. I felt the difference right away and they of course saw what had happened so it was into the hosp. a couple days later for a pacemaker change! It has been a real roller coaster ride and at times I have to laugh. Every thing is still on schedule thou so I go into the hosp. on March 18th for the bladder cancer, if that works out I hope to go to the Mayo for the HCM, maybe next year

Comment

Rick -

I'm sorry to hear about your pacemaker.... I'm am glad that you got it changed out. I will be thinking of you as the 18th approaches and pray that all goes well.

I've been told before that things happen in threes.... If this is true (and it sure seems like it sometimes), then you should be on the way up now.

Please let us know how things go.

All the best.

SheliRenee
                    Mom of Keanu
                    4 years old (will be in March)
                    Dx at 2 days old with Biventricular hypertrophy
                    Dx at 6 weeks with HOCM
                    Dx at 5 months with V-tach
                    Dx at 3 with Noonan Syndrome

Comment

Boy, Richard. You sure haven't had very good luck lately. It's too bad that they couldn't do both things at once, huh? I'm glad you're taken care of as far as the pacer goes, and I'll be thinking about you on the 18th.

Reenie
                      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Rich,

Good luck on the 18th. I am glad that you were able to get your pacer squared away. I will be pulling for you.

Best wishes

Bob
                        Cleveland Myectomy Crew
                        Member since November 2002

\"Chance favors the prepared mind!\"

Comment

Rick, at least you know you are going into the next surgery with a new battery and the pacer surgery well toward healing. Keep us posted. Best wishes. Linda

Comment

Many Thanks to you all!

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts! I feel alot better today as the shoulder area is healing nicely. I also think it was the best thing to get this out of the way BEFORE the endoscopic resection. At least if I'm lucky thats what it will be, it all depends on how deep the cancer is when they get in there. I sure didn't want to be hurting on both ends at the same time if you know what I mean... I also want all of you to know that I also think of you all and althou I have not had the time to say it to each of you. I know that you too or one of your loved ones has your own share of troubles. Thats why it makes it so much more special when I hear a kind word from one of you.

Comment

Angels

I don't know what your Spritual beliefs are but I think that finding out about your batteries and getting that whole thing square away before you went in for the cancer surgery is what "I" would call a definite blessing or good luck on your part. And I too think sometimes things happen in threes and it looks like your third one was a charm. I will be praying for you and the journey ahead of you. It looks like your guardian angel is got ya covered.

Diana

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X