If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does HCM make my immune system puny?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Dave Johnson Find out more about Dave Johnson
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does HCM make my immune system puny?

I know, I know! I really need to get to an HCM clinic so I can seperate the truth from the fiction. There seems to have been the idea early on (when I was diagnosed) that I needed to be extra careful not to catch colds, flus, or anything that would attack my immune system since it was 'hard on the heart' when my body is fighting these things. Or possibly because I can't really take a wide variety of anti-biotics (though I seem to have no problem when taking them).

I have a military friend who's leaving for Saudi next week, his going away party is tomorrow, and he's being vaccinated for smallpox today. The docs told him to 'be careful' around anyone who has a weak immune system. Supposedly it's only contagious right at the site of the shot (and I don't intend on touching him) but do I really count at 'someone with a weak immune system' because of HCM? It's a muscle problem, not a blood cell problem, so I don't think so, but I'm wondering what the deal is. Any experience or help would be appreciated.
    "We come into the world and take our chances, fate is just the weight of circumstances - that's the way the lady luck dances...roll the bones." - Rush

Not in the sense that your true immune system is "flawed" but due to your hearts inablity to work "right" you may be hit harder by colds, flu... it is very common in HCM -
    I doubt that the smallpox vac. will do anything to you..but always good to check with your doctor.
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

As is usual, I'm hearing all this at the last minute and it'd take a miracle to actually hear back from my cardiologist before this guys going away party tomorrow.

Hey Lisa - it's kind of funny when you read our signature lines back to back, hehe.
      "We come into the world and take our chances, fate is just the weight of circumstances - that's the way the lady luck dances...roll the bones." - Rush

Comment

sicky poo

I don't think it is that you catch things more easily ---it is that once you catch something, your system may have a harder time fighting it. Also, certain things "go to the heart" --cause pericardial infections-- faster than other if given the chance --at least this is how I understand it.

For me, when I get sick, I dehydrate super-fast and I usually end up in the hospital getting fluids. Also, if you are throwing up --you aren't keeping your medication inside either --which makes everything worse, too.

So go to the party, but wave to your friend when you say goodbye!! ; )

Good luck to him and god bless,

Sarah

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X