If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disability

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disability

[Disability]

Author: Ronnie (---.tnt1.columbus.ms.da.uu.net)

Date: 04-01-02 07:46

People have told me to file for disability. Has anyone else done this? I work outside for a living. The Mississippi heat is tough. Thanks for any info.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Disability]

Author: beckley (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 04-01-02 10:45

Dear Ronnie

Here is the URL for the directions on how to apply for disability. Be prepared for a lot of paperwork.

http://www.ssa.gov/disability.html

Good luck,

Sarah

Author: DENNIS J.BASSETT (---.ts05.qui.ma.net1plus.com)

Date: 04-02-02 20:22

Ronnie, I,ve recently applied for disabilty, I have not been approved as yet. They tell me it is a long slow process,and to expect to be denied the first time.Don't give up. GOOD LUCK to you as well.

Author: Lisa (---.parnj1.netplay.net)

Date: 04-02-02 20:34

HI all -

RE Disability, you will not be deemed disable based soley on your diagnosis of HCM. Your level of symptoms will be evaluated, they often refer to your New York Heart Class (NYHC) 1 being basicly fine-can walk up and down stairs/hills 2 some limitations walking up stairs/hill 3 very limited can not walk up stairs/hills 4 difficulty leaveing the home.

Do not be too quick to file for DI -make sure you have made the most out of medications, devices, surgury / non surgical interventions. REMEMBER most people with HCM live to or past the average age of mortality in the USA - thats 73 years old... and thats a long time to be on Disability.

Best wishes,

Lisa Salberg

Author: midgerollins (---.obmo.socket.net)

Date: 04-03-02 19:09

I just recently was approved for Disability. It took about one year. I was turned down initially but then I had my HOCM progress on to Diastolic heart failure and was judged grade 3/4 severity with exertion. I believe it is the last 6 months that changed the tide. However, I would certainly rather be working. I do still work about 12 hours a week. I call it my mental health job. I am in the medical field so it is in my blood to keep up on my profession. Midge

Author: Jacki (206.61.184.---)

Date: 04-04-02 02:54

I totally agree that it depends on the severity of your case. My sister was denied because she was told that she could work at a desk job. I thought it was very unfair because she was very limited in the kind of jobs she could do.

Jacki

Author: Sarah B. (---.dialup.mindspring.com)

Date: 04-04-02 09:27

It is my understanding that total disability, by government standards, is very hard to come by and you have to be incapable of anything --if you can be a Wal-Mart greeter, then you aren't "disabled." This is anecdotal evidence, but born out by Jacki's sister's experience as well.

S

Author: susan (---.taylor01.mi.comcast.net)

Date: 04-04-02 12:07

I was forced to retire after 28 years with and auto company ,and have had a tuff time accepting it It took me about a year to get over.life goes on and every ending has a new begining.

Author: Yvette (64.109.159.---)

Date: 04-14-02 11:16

Hello~

My husband is 29 and he has been turned down twice for disability. He just recently had open heart surgery at the Cleveland Heart Clinic. On top of having HOCM he is also a insulin dependent diabetic, numbers ranging in the hi 200's, and no he is not over weight. We are a family of four and went from him having a good supervisor position to him being told he could not work anymore by 2 different doctors. But according to S.S. they said he could still work a "time keeper" job. When we asked what a time keeper job was - they offered nothing. And how does one go from having experience in only one job field for the past 10 years to doing something he has no training for. We have now hired an attorney, who says definitly for sure my husband should have been granted his disability. This all weighs heavy on our family. Without their support we would not survive on my pay alone. I hope all goes well for anyone trying to receive their disability! It is sad to think we live in a country that can send billions of dollars to 3rd world countries, but not even blink an eye at what is going on in our country. But as my husband says - politics honey - politics.

If anyone has any info they would like to send - I will be happy to answer any letters or opinions.

Thank you Yvette

Author: rhonda (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 04-23-02 17:10

I was recently told by my cardiologist that my job greatly increased by chances of

sudden cardiac death and she put this in writing to my supervisor (i am an r.n.,working 40 hr. week in surgery w/ call 2 days a week). i was immediately put on fmla until an appropriate job would come available (not an easy thing to come by in my profession) i am now working only the days needed at a desk job in the e.r.- these days being at the hospital's discretion and at a moments notice- i am also now paying my own health ins. premium (thru the hospital) and lost all other

benefits. I have also considered disability but was told i was way too healthy and

not to waste the time. my main concern is that if i am unable to work i will have no health ins.

Author: Lisa (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 04-25-02 18:12

Dear Rhonda,

I may be able to offer you some assistance, regarding the employment status issue and your loss of benefits while being on FMLA. I do know not want to go into to many details on message board, I highly recommend to call the office and we discussed this. Please remember I am a human resource manager, by occupation, and president of the HCMA as well. Under federal law there are only very specific items that your employer may require of you while under FMLA, it sounds to me like they may have gone a little overboard in cutting your benefits.

Also, you may have protections under the ADA, Americans with disabilities act.

I have to call the office and we can discuss this, FMLA only last for 12 weeks so it is imperative to move quickly... time flies even when you're not having fun.

All the best,

Lisa
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X