If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another question from Bert! Sorry...

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Bert Find out more about Bert
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another question from Bert! Sorry...

We just got the reults of our son's 24 hour Holter Monitor and it indicated that no cardiac symptoms were recorded. So... Is it good news, bad news, misleading news? Or, false hope, no hope, dissallusioned hope? Need to know from the experts out there.

Thank again.
    Bert

Hi

Dear Bert,

One can have HCM and not have any "events" in a day very easily. It is good news in that he didn't have any palpitations or tachycardia --certainly. But yes, it is only a measure of one day but hopefully a typical one.

Most of us don't have symptoms all the time --it just depends.

So chalk one up on the good news side!

S

Comment

Thank You Sarah!

I needed a bit of good news. Although, I'm realistic and not getting my hopes up. One thing we've just discvored is that at Jonathan's school 3 kids, all athletes, were just diagnosed with cardiac abnormalities. 2 of them have myocarditis which is the only time I have heard a "cough" being mentioned and have been cleared for athletic competition (much to my surprise!). The other one apparently has tachycardia and is also playing. How do you tell the difference between myocarditis and HCM. A lot of the symptoms appear to be the same. and the diagnostic procedures are very much the same. I just find it odd that all of a sudden 3 kids out 1400 students in the same school have a cardiac condition.

Funny the stuff you hear at school budget hearings. Thanks again.

Comment

Hi. I am enclosing a link to an article on myocarditis from intellihealth.com. http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH...?d=dmtHealthAZ

This explains that myocarditis is an inflamation of the heart muscle and can be caused by many things. I can't tell you from a medical standpoint whether any of these children should be playing sports, the ones with myocarditis or the one with tachycardia. I can tell you from a parent's view that I would not allow my kids to play if they had either problem.

However, I have to add that all of my life from about age 10 on I had tachycardia episodes. Some of them were actually life threatening. I've been on meds since then and will continue to be for the rest of my life. My cardiologist always told me that there was no limit on my physical activity. Since I was never terribly athletically inclined I kept away from most activities that made my heart rate rise. I hated the way I felt when I had those episodes.

That is my two cents worth. I'm sure others will post too.

Reenie

PS, Does your son feel all right? I'm glad his holter came out clear. Remember, many HCM patients don't have abnormal EKG's. The echo is the true litmus test.
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Bert,

I have had numerous holter monitor tests. I am currently preparing for another 48 hour monitor. I have HCM and was obstructed prior to my surgery. I have never had any cardiac issues from the holter tests. But prior to my surgery, I was limited in what I could do (and still am to some extent). Some HCM'ers have arrithmia issues, while others like my self do not (at least not so far). A clear holter test does not rule out HCM, but it still may be positive that arrithmias are not an issue at this time.

Bob
          Cleveland Myectomy Crew
          Member since November 2002

\"Chance favors the prepared mind!\"

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
          X