If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alcohol-related Stroke?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcohol-related Stroke?

Hi All,

I have been a heavy drinker my entire adult life. We're talking 16 to 20 shots of whiskey in an evening, three or four nights a week. For as long as i can remember (even back to my twenties), and long before i was ever diagnosed with HCM, when i would drink this much i'd always wake up a bunch of times that night gasping for air (as if i hadn't been breathing for a while) and my heart would be beating wildly. Most of the time my heart would be beating so hard it kept me from falling back to sleep. I was a young healthy guy though (at least in my mind's eye) and always just thought this was a result of drinking too much and never gave it much thought

But something happened several months ago that scared the heck out of me. I got drunk like i always do, and had the usual wild heartbeat and breathing problems that i have always had. But this time, which by the way was my last, i woke up in the middle of the night and the entire right side of my body was numb. The right side of my face, my right arm, and my right leg, all of it numb as if i had gotten a shot of novacaine. I was laying on my left side. I remember thinking that this is what it must feel like to have a stroke, and it frightened me. But of course at the time, i was drunk, and i hadn't yet been diagnosed with HCM, so i just went back to bed and hoped i'd live through to the morning. Funny how when you're drunk you just hope you wake up in the morning, and not much else. When i awoke the next morning, everything was fine, but it scared me enough not to have another drink since then.

Is it possible that i might of had some sort of a stroke, or mini-stroke as i have read that people with HCM sometimes do? It wasn't until i was diagnosed with HCM that i loooked back on that episode and became somewhat concerned. Has anyone else experienced anything like this, and if i did in fact suffer some kind of a stroke, would there be any kind of permanent damage from it? Is there any test that might show whether or not i did?

Thanks much,

Jim
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

possible - but not likely. I would explain the entire matter to your doctor, an EEG or cat scan or MRI can be done of your brain to look for any damage.
    I am glad to hear the drinking is in your past

Best wishes,
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

stroke

Hi,

I've had a stroke and you don't feel numb ---you feel _nothing_ on that side. Zero. It doesn't feel funny or prickly or numb, or asleep, it doesn't even exist.

So you may have pinched a nerve or something, but definitely describe it to your doctor to make sure you didn't do anything really bad!

take care,

S

Comment

Lisa and Sarah,

Thanks for your replies. I was interested in finding out if anyone else has had a similar experience with alcohol and HCM. I've done some reading on the effects of alcohol and dehydration causing arrythmias with HCM, and i have to believe that at least to some degree the numbness was related to my heart. This is certainly something to ask my cardiologist anyway

By the way Lisa, i finally got some insurance issues out of the way, and i see a cardiologist on Monday for the first time since being diagnosed. Woo hoo! As you know a cardiologist in Montana did the echo and made the diagnosis, but told me he didn't have the expertise with HCM to lay out any sort of treatment options for me. I can't tell you how relieved i am that i won't be flying solo and unmedicated with this anymore

Jim

Comment

`Jim, We're all relieved and delighted for you. We'll be waiting to hear how things go with the cardiologist. Linda

Comment

dehydration

Ah, yes, dehydration. I did that, too. My first atrial fib episode (and my brother's) were both alcohol induced. 2 oz sangria and 2 beers, respectively --I was 100 lbs and probably low on water to begin with and he was 12.

Anyway, both dehydration and alcohol or the alcohol induced dehydration are going to get you some fun rhythm problems.

Drink lots of water and don't avoid salt (low salt cardiac diets are for high blood pressure people where water is bad). Water is your best friend.

take care,

S

Comment

After seeing my cardiologist yesterday he does not think that i had a stroke, but he does certainly feel that my little episode was HCM related. We'll know a lot more about what's going on with me once i have my stress test and holter monitor next week

Jim

Comment

Working...
              X