If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Septal Ablation Out

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

rebeccaann50 Find out more about rebeccaann50
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Septal Ablation Out

Hi, Last night I got a call from Boston and they said It wouldn't be safe for me to have the procedure. Apparently after reviewing all my echos and cardiac cath. it was decided it wouldn't be an option for me. I'm not sure i really understand but what he said was where they would have to do it the muscle was thin and the thick obstucted part couldn't be reached and it would be too dangerous. So tomorrow i go for more pulmonary function tests to see why i'm so breathless and then they will try to figure out what combination of drugs to try next. I'm just a little upset today. Not that I really wanted the surgery but it was an option that I no longer have and I like being in control even though I know i'm not if you know what I mean. Becky

Becky,
    Is ablation out or surgury out?
    Are you obstucted or non obstructed?
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

ablation

Hi Lisa, Ablation is out and yes i'm obstucted. Becky

Comment

bummer.

Dear Rebecca,

I know how you feel. I'm in afib and I'm not a candidate for _anything_ except more of the same.

Did they evaluate you for a myectomy?

hang in there,

S

Comment

ablation out

Hi Sarah, No They have only explained other things we hadn;t gotten that far, they seemed so sure I would be a good candidate for Septal Alblation. Today they cancelled the rest of my pulmonary function test, the challenge part because they couldn't do it while I was on lopressor and didn't feel it was safe to let me go without it so everything is on hold for now. How are you feeling?I take it your on medications but no surgery is possible now. I'm still new to all this and i'm learning as I go and I'm glad I found this site. It helps me. Thanks, Becky

Comment

Rebecca - I was also supposedly going to be 'fixed' by an oblation (though I'm non-obstructive) and after a cath was told that b/c of a low gradient, the oblation would have no effect. Big bummer - what I thought was a small, fixable problem has become a 5 year (and counting) battle with meds, fatigue, financial difficulty, etc.

If it's any encouragement, I'm happier now than I have ever been - I've slowed my lifestyle, adjusted to my meds, and learned to live more simply. The weeks ahead will be very trying at times but hang in there - it won't be this way forever. Hopefully you'll hear some good news soon as well.
            "We come into the world and take our chances, fate is just the weight of circumstances - that's the way the lady luck dances...roll the bones." - Rush

Comment

septal ablation out

Hi Dave, Nice to hear from you and i'm sorry it's been so hard for you, but it sounds as if you are handling it now. I think it's so hard to hear all these things the Doctors are telling me because i'm still in shock and it's like we are really talking about someone else. I really am positive most of the time but once in awhile........and thats the best part of this group because everyone has been there and they have alot of knowledge and wisdom to share. Thanks, Becky

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X