If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VERAPAMIL

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VERAPAMIL

[VERAPAMIL]

Author: Sue (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 03-28-02 21:45

My son is 14 years old. He was diagnosed with HOCM at age 7. He has been on Verapamil for 7 years now. He also had a pacemaker/defribulator implanted one year ago. Does anyone know a good web sight........or know for a fact if there are any life time effects....for being on the meds for this long. He seems fine on them as they work for him. I am not a "medicine mom".....I believe a fever (with my other kids) is meant to fight infection so I am hesitant to use even tylenol, but do when its needed. I'd appreciate any info on this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: VERAPAMIL]

Author: Sue (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 03-28-02 21:46

By the way......he is at 180mgs per day

Author: beckley (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 03-29-02 01:38

Dear Sue

Welcome to the board. The HCMA is a great resource. I know that Lisa works very hard at keeping up with the current research. You may want to call or e-mail the office directly to see if they have any suggestions (and to get on the mailing list--the newsletter always has current research listings, too).

Personally, verapamil made my blood pressure too low, so I didn't take it for more than a few months. however, I've been on beta-blockers and potassium-channel blockers for twenty years and counting and I haven't any serious side effects or issues (I'm 33).

I also recommend medline.com, google.com and northernlight.com as fantastic search engines. With the right search string, you should be able to find anything that is out there between them. There is also zaplife.org for people with "zappers" --defribillators.

I'm glad your son is doing well.

Sarah

Author: Glen (---.com)

Date: 04-01-02 08:31

Hi Sue, I have been taking beta blockers for 30 years, since I was 22 for HCM and have not suffered any long term side effect that I am aware of.

I have tested the same and feel the same, except for some arthritis in my hip.

Was the arthritis a result of the meds???? I don't think so, arthritis is fairly common in my family, not the HCM side of the family.

I too am a believer in letting sickness take it's own route, it lets the body build it's own immunities, unfortunetly HCM is not going away so you are left with little choice but to allow the meds to help.

Good Luck for your son and I wish him well.

Glen

Author: KIM (146.189.229.---)

Date: 04-03-02 12:16

Hi, I just wanted to give you another site that may provide more information on Verapmil. Go to www.drugstore.com and follow the instructions and you can access any medication, side effect, dosage, cost etc. I found it helpful.

Author: KIM (146.189.229.---)

Date: 04-03-02 12:38

Hi, I just remembered antother site that may be more helpful than the one I previously gave you. It is www.rxlist.com

I hope these help.
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.
Working...
X