If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

coffee

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

dennis Find out more about dennis
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coffee

Hi Just how bad is caffine for HCM patients, Ijust love my black coffee first thing in the morning. dennis

Hi Dennis,

I don't know if you've experienced palpitations or skipped beats, but I find that when I consume a lot of caffeine (from coffee or sodas) that it causes me to have more of those odd beats. I switched to decaf without any problems. Hope this helps.
    HOCM, Septal Myectomy 10/02 (Mayo Clinic), Medtronic ICD 10/07, TIA 10/07

Comment

mostly a no-no

Dear Dennis,

If you want to wean yourself off caffiene, the best thing to do is to slowly start cutting your high octane fuel with a little decaf. Go about a week or two at each level (eg 3 parts regular to 1 part decaf) and continue to step down --just like the nicotine patch.

I think you will find that you are less edgy, irritable and have fewer palpitations once you are down to half or less regular coffee.

good luck and take care,

S

Comment

Coffee

Hi Dennis. Caffiene gets my heart going like a set of drums with PVC's, extra beats, skipped beats etc. 4 years ago I was hospitalized with A-fib and my cardiologist ordered me to completely lay off of all caffiene. Being like you (I consider black coffee to be a food group and necessary for life) I was devestated. I now drink only Starbucks House Blend Decaf. While I sacrifice a little on the flavor it is much less noticable than what one might generally buy in the store. Good luck.
        Leon
        God Squad co-moderator
        Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

The Flutters.......

Just after having my Ablation done on the 21st of Jan. I came out of the hospital and immediately went right back to drinking my "lite" coffee, The PVC's kicked up to the point of being agrivating. After a trip tp my local cardiologist and several test to rule out any thing else, they adjusted my meds and ordered me completely off caffiene. I havent had any "flutters" in over a week and feel much better for it. It wasent so hard to kick the "habit", I was already limiting my caffiene intake before I quit all together. I guess weaning your self off is a good idea. Connie
          The BEST is yet to come !!

Comment

caffine causes "normal" people to have PVC's and "fast" heart rates...so take an HCM heart and add caffine and SOME of us have trouble with it.
            I as many know am an admitted Earl Gray Tea addict...This is my one and only vice in the world (ok dark chocolate too but only a little of that).
            I have never had any ill effects from drinking caffine...but as I have said 1000 times we are all a little different.
            So if caffine causes you any additional symptoms you should not have any...like my dad who ate the piece of chocolate cake at Staceys 8th grade graduation dinner at 10pm...I said Dad you eat that and YOU WILL BE in A-fib in no time...he said NO I WONT and ate the cake....7am where were we...in the ER with fast rate A-fib and off to be cardioverted that afternoon.
            There will come a day when caffine gets to me, I am rather sure of that...for now...I am an addict and thats that :P
            I will always be honest with you all...even when I do things maybe I should not...so Sarah..dont bother giving me HE__.
            Love,
            Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Lisa,

When I was first diagnosed, I dropped caffine totally and moved as much as possible to decaf. I too love Earl Grey tea. There is in fact a decaf version of this tea sold in the stores which, at least to me, taste no different than the original.

Bob
              Cleveland Myectomy Crew
              Member since November 2002

\"Chance favors the prepared mind!\"

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X