If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

echo results

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

kenneth Find out more about kenneth
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• echo results

I asked question last week about septum thickness, gradient and blood flow. I appreciate the responses. I recieved a call from the doctor's office today telling me every thing was good and the same as last years results. Although I don't really know what these numbers are high are if they are border line are what ? If someone can please respond, thanks. They said the septal wall was 10cm and the gradient was 5 to 10 cm and velocity was 12cm

Kenneth, ask the office to send you a printed report. It will most likely have the normal values printed with the actual results. Then you can ask your doctor about any abnormals. Also, Lisa will be happy to go over it with you. Linda

Comment

Yes, get a copy of the results as this sounds a bit odd... normal septal measurement is up to 1.2 therefore it sounds "normal" but Normal has no gradient...so it is odd...get a print out and lets talk.
      Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Kenneth,

I'm sorry, i'm new at all this so i don't have any answers for you but i am trying my best to understand all the HCM lingo and increase my knowledge wherever i can. Did you mean to say that your septal wall thickness was 10mm or 10cm? Otherwise i'm confused. In reviewing my own results it looks like my septal wall is 15mm with SAM and LVOT gradient of 12.4mm with velocity of 1.76m/sec, mitral and tricuspid regurgitation, borderline aortic root dimension, and he also mentioned that i am borderline obstructive. I know very little about what all that means but thankfully, i am finally going to have an opportunity to see a cardiologist in a week and a half who will once and for all get me started in some treatment for all this

Take care of yourself,

Jim
        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

sorry I was tired when I posted that I should have been more clear.
          1.2cm not 10cm...that would be really bad...
          Ok Your septal measurement of 1.5 is within the "HCM" numbers - and a gradient of 12mm is very low (same as mine in fact).
          How are you being treated at this point?
          Lisa

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Currently not obstructed

Comment

Lisa,

Thanks for clearing that up for me, although it was Kenneth's numbers not your own i was confused about. 10 cm seemed like a pretty whopping big septal measurement, even with my own limited knowledge of the subject. I'm sure the rest of you knew what he was talking about without even having to think about it!

Take Care,

Jim
            "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Jim - No I was not clear on that posting and I thank you for asking!! you helped clear it up before anyone else got confused!
              Thanks!
              Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

ten centimeters for a septum and there wouldn't be room for any chambers. 3cm is when they'll start cutting it down and 1 cm is normal.

ouch!

Comment

Working...
                X