If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston vs. Clevland (not a sports thread...)

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Dave Johnson Find out more about Dave Johnson
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston vs. Clevland (not a sports thread...)

I'm about to go to one or the other and I was hoping for some suggestions from anyone who's had experience at either or both. I have a friend who's going to Clevland and wants me to come along, but I've already had some communication with Boston. I live in Arkansas but distance is really no object - neither is cost b/c my insurance should cover either. I've spoken to Lisa briefly about this on the phone but I'd like to hear from others (or Lisa again if you have anything to add!).
    "We come into the world and take our chances, fate is just the weight of circumstances - that's the way the lady luck dances...roll the bones." - Rush

I think either center is a good choice - they both have what you need - experience, commitment and compasion.
    It does sound like a sports question though!
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Dave,

I do not know anything about Boston, but I am sure that you will get great care which ever you choose. If Lisa says its on her approved list, then you are in good hands. I went to Cleveland, and I can tell you that the Dr.'s there are the best IMHO. Good Luck.

Bob
      Cleveland Myectomy Crew
      Member since November 2002

\"Chance favors the prepared mind!\"

Comment

Lisa - You mentioned that Boston had a great reputation for Doctor-patient communication via phone and e-mail follwing office visits. How does that compare to Clevand? This is a MAJOR issue for me since I live so far away and feel a bit disconnected from even my local cardiologist sometimes.
        "We come into the world and take our chances, fate is just the weight of circumstances - that's the way the lady luck dances...roll the bones." - Rush

Comment

honestly I think you will be fine in either center...both have a great rep for good communication.
          Lisa
          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
          Currently not obstructed
          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

The docs in Boston are outstanding with outside communication. I live in Florida so that is a big ordeal if I have to go to them. As of late we have been talking just about every week with my condition! Let's just say that it is easier to talk to my doctors up north than my local cardiologist three blocks away. They also know me a lot better. I wouldn't trade them for the world!

Mary S.

Comment

Ccf

hi dave, i had myectomy and two bypasses at cleveland and was very pleased with with the staff and treatment before and during my stay. my doctors thought mayo, but after i did research cleveland seemed good choice for me. make sure u go to a well experienced center. if i can be of any help, please let me know. john

Comment

far and away

The big centers are used to dealing with people who are far away and are excellent about keeping in touch --the odd wait can happen, but this is rare. I e-mail and call my team whenever I need to and they call back that day! (mayo).

So go by what works for you in terms of travel and who you get along with --you can certainly call and ask to speak to the doctors in question and ask them how they follow up with their patients.

keep us posted,

S

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X