If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

apical HC

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• apical HC

[apical HC]

Author: Tom (209.131.237.---)

Date: 03-26-02 23:31

I am a 62 year old retired husband and father of four that was orginally diagnosed with LVH (1984)...left ventricular hyperphory. Been on various meds for high blood pressure since '84...lopressor, prinivil, aspirin, etc. Recently I have experienced a heavyness in my chest and now after echo, angio, stress and an MRI, I will be having a fibrillator implanted as soon as it can be scheduled. The diagnose today is apical HC...thickening of the heart apex area with intrusion into the left ventricle. I am now on toprol (200 mg once a day) and prinivil. What I would like to know from this group, is what can I expect from the implant. Are medications usually discontinued or changed. What about life style? Risks? etc. Needless to say I am concerned...I have a 47 year old half brother who recently died in his sleep...autopsy showed HC...no warning, but he had recently had knee surgery and it was detected at this time that his thyroid and glucose levels were out of wack...heart problem never showed up. A defibrillator, I am sure, is a better alternative, but I basically feel good, except occasssion heaviness in chest with excercise. Thankful there is such a site for people like us...very reassuring before any procedures needed to correct. Like to hear from you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: apical HC]

Author: sarah beckley (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 03-27-02 14:32

Dear Tom

welcome to the board.

I'm very sorry to hear about your brother. If you have other siblings, they should all be tested. Have your children been tested? They should be, if they haven't, especially now. Some people get tested every year, since it is something that can show up later in life. A blood test will not discover HCM, only an echocardiogram (ultrasound on the heart).

I don't have an ICD, but many people here do and I'm sure they'll fill you in. THere is also a web site (unaffiliated with this one) devoted just to ICDs (http://www.zaplife.org/).

Best of luck and keep in touch.

Sarah
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X